Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Screw Power steering issues.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 Screw Power steering issues.

2010 F150 Screw with Rack and Pinion steering. Power steering seems to get "stuck" and I have to force it over then I can continue my turn, occasionally the issue disappears after driving for a bit but have also had it last for longer drives in town. Power steering fluid is black and has a burnt odor to it. Should I be ok with just flushing the power steering system or should i flush and replace the pump as well? If replacing the pump is needed should i be looking at tasca for motorcraft replacement or are there better ones/better places to be looking?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd see how a flush goes. Remember it takes atf mercon v not power steering fluid.

Also check the two joints on the steering shaft which goes through the firewall. Sometimes one can fail and cause that -stuck- feeling.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 PM

Listening closer today the pump does growl a bit before it gets to the end of travel while turning
Old 04-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

Check the u joints in the steering shaft. Does it turn easier if you rev the engine?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by rrp0968
Check the u joints in the steering shaft. Does it turn easier if you rev the engine?
Issue remains constant no matter the rpm
Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds to me like an issue with the gear teeth within the steering rack. Probably needs a new one, especially if the resistance is felt in the same steering position every time.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had the same issue with my 2010 f150. it would have tough spots to steer through, and as the truck would warm up sometimes the steering would get easier and the tough spots would sorta disappear then a few days later it would stiffen up and id have the tight spots return. now I have fixed this issue, very simple. I was told by two mechanic that almost on a yearly basis the steering shaft should be lubricated, as it is not in a very covered area so it see's a lot of road salt and debris. all we did was put the truck on the lift, just off the ground, as I turned my steering all the way left.. then all the way right as my mechanic sprayed lubricant on the gears and knuckles of the steering rack, he did this front on top and inside the engine bay, then from underneath the truck as well. my steering is now back to normal, no issues after a few weeks since lubricating, the other mechanic I talked to said he like to take is steering shaft out and let it soak in lube for a day or so, and that this is a common problem on the f150's and that lubricating the steering once a year will help the longevity of the steering components. id try this before buy any new steering components.
The following users liked this post:
thefordman9879 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spinny12
I recently had the same issue with my 2010 f150. it would have tough spots to steer through, and as the truck would warm up sometimes the steering would get easier and the tough spots would sorta disappear then a few days later it would stiffen up and id have the tight spots return. now I have fixed this issue, very simple. I was told by two mechanic that almost on a yearly basis the steering shaft should be lubricated, as it is not in a very covered area so it see's a lot of road salt and debris. all we did was put the truck on the lift, just off the ground, as I turned my steering all the way left.. then all the way right as my mechanic sprayed lubricant on the gears and knuckles of the steering rack, he did this front on top and inside the engine bay, then from underneath the truck as well. my steering is now back to normal, no issues after a few weeks since lubricating, the other mechanic I talked to said he like to take is steering shaft out and let it soak in lube for a day or so, and that this is a common problem on the f150's and that lubricating the steering once a year will help the longevity of the steering components. id try this before buy any new steering components.
Yes!!This is exactly what mine is doing in addition its having the drone from the pump and and fluid is black and smells off. Which lube did yo use?

Last edited by thefordman9879; 04-11-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to my mechanic/ buddy and he said first he used " sea foam deep creep" to get the debris all loosened up and once the steering was back to normal he then used white lithium grease. id still go ahead and change or flush your fluid if its black-ish in colour and smells weird but after that you should be good to go. good luck!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spinny12
I talked to my mechanic/ buddy and he said first he used " sea foam deep creep" to get the debris all loosened up and once the steering was back to normal he then used white lithium grease. id still go ahead and change or flush your fluid if its black-ish in colour and smells weird but after that you should be good to go. good luck!
I'll give this a shot first over replacing the pump or the rack thanks

Search this Thread