Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Rear Slider Defrost Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2010 Rear Slider Defrost Problem...

Oh Great F150 Gurus....PLEASE help this Old Phart....I have a 2010 F150 Supercrew XLT. I have ran the complete gamut as to this issue and am ready to give up--yet I know that the knowledge base of this forum should be able to solve this!

The rear defroster and heated mirrors are not working. I have checked fuses, connections, relays, and switches.....and still nothing. After reading a couple thousand threads all over the net, it is my understanding that if the rear sliding window is not completely closed they will not work. Apparantly there is a contact point or points that when the window is closed completes the circuit. I am quite sure that this is the issue with my truck. I cannot figure out where these contact points are. Or if a simple adjustment to the slider will resolve this.

Could one of you fine members steer me to where to look for these contact points? might it be a matter of simply brushing/cleaning these contacts? Is there a way to adjust the slider portion to align these contact points?
I am losing my mind in regards to this.....PLEASE HELP!!!!

PS Yes I have tried holding the defrost button while operating the slider to a closed position and yet still have no defrost operation.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't looked through any schematics, but the contacts from the sliding window shouldn't keep you from using any defrost functions. It seems like it would be more of a fuse, wiring, or climate control unit problem to impact the mirrors and windows.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM

No---what I meant was that there is supposed to be some type of interconnect that is made by closing the slider. That it completes the Grid circuit iof the defrost. If the window is not closed and making good contact/circuit the heating grid will not heat.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure about the contacts, but you should look further down in this forum at the thread called "rear window defroster or rear window exploding".

Apparently some of the 2010s have some sort of issue which can cause the defroster to short out or something similar. This causes the rear window to shatter. Apparently, the replacement windows being installed are of a different design.

Be careful with what you do with this, you may want to have a dealer look at it....
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Walacemf!!! Heading tp dealer soon---extended warranty will fix this and cost is no more than $50.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey, I have a 2010 Lariat and had the same problem. Last winter once it was cold enough to start using the rear defrost I found it wasn't working, but had the first winter. Took it to the dealer, they checked sure enough wasn't working. It showed power was getting to it but no defrost. They ordered a new rear window. 2 weeks later it was in and a local glass shop installed it and has worked like a charm ever since. It didn't cost me a dime!

Quick Reply: 2010 Rear Slider Defrost Problem...