Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Lariat Crew Ext LED conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking 2010 Lariat Crew Ext LED conversion

Parking and fog/driving on but the white parking lights are hard to see in that shot..

Parking lights only with C Halos showing and the new 2017 OEM wheels and tires.
The cab corners were cut out and fixed it stamped replacement parts

Right rear view of LED taillights and 3rd brake light
This was the light side swipe side and both cab corners were rusted out.

I will list some of the items used below.

LASFIT CANBUS Anti Hyper Flash 1157 2057 7528 Dual Color Switchback LED Amber Turn Signal Light Blinker Bulbs, White Daytime Running Parking Light, No Load Resistor Need, Unique Version (Pack of 2) $60

Akarui LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit - Single Beam - CREE XHP70 LED - 9.600 lumens - 6K Cool White - 2-Year Warranty - Pair - H7 $70

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 3200 Lumens Max 80W High Power H10 9145 9140 9050 9155 LED Fog Light Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White $30

Ford F150 Replacement Fog Light Assembly - 1-Pair $30

Spyder Auto PRO-YD-FF15009-LBDRL-C Ford Halo Projector Headlight $325 - $400 depending on source

Eagle Eyes brand LED lights for 2009-2014 F150 Pickup Truck Red Clear Lens with C style Halos that contrast well with the Spyder headlights. $230 range.

This is the $7400 205K mile (212K now) with a cracked up windshield with driver side AC blowing hot air, etc project truck I picked up last summer to tow a 1948 Model B Allis Chalmers and 1966 Ford 3000 tractor with the factory one arm front-end loader to tractor shows and parades.

I found a small shop (dad is 80 and son is 50 to do the body work. When the bed was off to fix the cab corner rust they straighten it up and painted the inside and bottom side. I had already treated it and the undercarriage with Skyco Phospho.

It has been a lot of work but a lot of fun and the kids have helped me. Thankfully the engine and transmission seem to be fine after having put another 7K miles on it with some towing. While it had a lot of issues the 11.2K tow rating with the 3.73 Limited Slip appealed to me. This is my first 4WD pick up and I love it.

While there is still more things that needs attention its appearance is improved.

Made a run into town (20 miles one way) and really am glad I went full LED externally . The headlights are not as bright in one sense as the OEM halogen set up but yet I can see better and farther down the road. It is not that big ball of white light everywhere that would light up the trees. Due to the shutters and projectors the light is better controlled for sure.

I pulled up to a plate glass window so I could look at them and loved the looks until I turned them on bright and saw the projector lens glaring back at me. I noticed when I met cars I would light up their doors but not shine light on their door windows. People would dim earlier than before and no one ever flashed me when on low beam.

Long term I do not know what the results will be but regardless I am glad did the research and made the full move to LED lighting on the F-150. Thanks to all who have posted on this subject. I had no idea their quality is really up and prices are really down. My whole set-up was plug and play as in NO cutting and splicing of wires in the total process.

Last edited by Gale Hawkins; 02-10-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Truck looks good man! How do you like the Lasfit switchbacks? I was thinking of pulling the trigger on the antihyper flash model like yours. My fear was when they were white, they would over power my CBIs in the OEM housings.
The following users liked this post:
Gale Hawkins (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Thanks.

There's only 10 white LED's but 30 yellow ones that flash and they light up the world. First $20 sett did hype flash. On my truck I prefer white LED's vs old amber parking lights. I use my parking lights as DRL's now to show off my 4 halos.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins
Thanks.

There's only 10 white LED's but 30 yellow ones that flash and they light up the world. First $20 sett did hype flash. On my truck I prefer white LED's vs old amber parking lights. I use my parking lights as DRL's now to show off my 4 halos.
What bulb size did you use? I thought our turn signals were 3057. That’s the one I was about to order until I saw your post and wanted to double check.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by LexPD

What bulb size did you use? I thought our turn signals were 3057. That’s the one I was about to order until I saw your post and wanted to double check.
Keep in mind I went with the Spyder headlight assemblies. For some reason they went with H7 size headlight bulbs and 1157 size for the parking/turn signal bulbs. My $20 set were 3057's because I "assumed" Spyder used the same bulbs as Ford did. It was in the old headlights that I tested the 3057's and learned they hyper flashed.

It did not set well to pay the $60 for LazFits and only $70 for top rated LED headlight bulbs BUT the LazFit's where awesome the first night out since the all white nose looks better to me vs the OEM amber look that seems to take away from the LED and Halo lighting per my eyes/mind. I thought my new like OEM assemblies looked fine UNTIL I put in the new Spyders.

I could not test the H7's in the old ones but the way they did the Hi/Lo beams I do not think they would have managed the LED brightness related glare. At 68 I meet some LED retros that blind me and I did not want to do the same to others. LED's are getting a lot of negative press today and for good reasons with LEO's.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the help!

As for LEDS causing glare, if not done properly you are absolutely right. I’ll be honest, I hate the light bar on my marked cruiser. Or trying to run lights and sirens behind another cruiser. It is horrible. The lights are REALLY bright, which is great for other drivers so they recognize us quicker. However, if you’re trying to folllow someone with their overheads on, it’s downright dangerous. Especially in the rain!

i think I’m going to give these Lasfit switchbacks a shot. Hell of a lot of money for turn signals, but I love the look.

Another question, what fogs are you running? Are they just drop in bulbs or a whole led assembly? Do you have just fog light output shots? Trying to find some dogs that blend in with the CBIs better but don’t wanna drop $170 on the Morimoto.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM

The Morimoto are very nice and should be a one time expense I would expect. I did go with new fog light OEM type housing because the old ones were no longer totally clear and were the only old plastic showing. My son thinks with the LED drop in they will have glare but he had to go to work yesterday before it got dark. If he has a serious concern with the LED's I may need to look at something like the Morimoto projector type.

I think you will like the Lasfit switchbacks but the white does not show up much in the day light but the amber is over the top bright (good). The next time I am out I am going to test and see if I can see to drive with just my flashers.

Now I can to see to drive somewhat with the drop in JDM Astar stock size fog light bulbs. The label on the package refers to them as Xenon White. I do not have a better photo on my phone but you can see some photos on Amazon reviews. They do put light everywhere like in the trees but I have never been flashed when using them and I can kind of see to drive with just them on. I live on a county road too narrow to strip and deer is my main concern. I most often try to get off the road when meeting trucks or farm equipment so only one of us is moving.

Last night coming on in the dark for the first time with the Spyder Projector headlights I could see reflectors on trailers and vehicle way off the side of the road but could not see the parked vehicles or trailers to make them out.

Talking about over head lights one followed a car into McDonalds drive thru the other night and it was blinding inside even.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Thanks again for a great response. I’m kind of glad the White isn’t super bright. I was sort of concerned it would over power my HIDs.

i just can’t figure out what I want to do with the fogs. I’d love a 6k type lightnto match the HIDs. But I know that light output isn’t good for snow, rain, and fog. I know that yellow is the absolute best light for those conditions. I guess I’ll just have to see what I can come up with.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice lookin truck but I wanna see that Allis-Chalmers.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Default Reason for getting the F-150

Originally Posted by STLRS FN's FX4
Nice lookin truck but I wanna see that Allis-Chalmers.
Here comes both tractors then.

We had this 1948 B Allis running and mowed some but yet have not painted the deck. Would like to find a newer Woods I59 deck if possible. It did make it to the 2018 Veterans Day Parade in Murray KY. It is like the tractor I played on when age 3 and started driving at age 5.

The daughter asked for this 3000 Ford tractor to work with her mini horses. We found the loader in Nashville IN and got it working/show ready. She drove it in the 2018 Murray State Uni homecoming parade. The trailer is an unretouched 2008 22' tilt trailer with 8K axles. I grew up driving a 1962 801 is the reason I wanted the tractor. After mounting the loader I got me a rusty 1980 3600 Ford for my 'working' tractor around the place.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lariat Crew Ext LED conversion