Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F150 5.4L Cam Phaser

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:11 PM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2010 F150 5.4L Cam Phaser

Long story short. Had this issue with my truck. Took it to the dealer. They diagnosed it and determined it was cam phasers. Ford approved it. Adviser calls me today and says it ended up being the solenoids only? He said it will quiet the noise down but I'll probably still hear it. Any input?
Thanks,
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Mines made a ticking noise since I purchased my 2009 V8 5.4. A local mechanic said it was the cam phaser however advised me not to fix it since most of the time it ends up coming back. And isn't worth the $2000 to get repaired. I've been driving with the ticking for over a year now and it hasn't gotten any worse and it hasn't gotten any better. But I haven't noticed any decline in performance so I haven't really cared and learned to live with it. I plan on putting a Flowmaster exhaust on at some point which will over power the sound of the ticking anyways.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Could've had a V8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck makes the infamous diesel sound but it hasn't gotten too loud. In the past when I was researching the truck I was told that the solenoid goes more often than the actual sprockets and chains. Especially on our year trucks.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I should also point out my 2009 5.4 has 147k miles on it now.. And it started the cam phaser ticking at about 110-115k miles. So I've drove a good 30k miles and haven't noticed any difference in performance.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:49 PM
US ARMY

Well i hope the solenoids at least fix it for now. I don't see them trying to screw me as they would make more money doing the phasers instead of the solenoids but who knows. He did point out that if i had the aftermarket lockout kit he wouldn't charge me labor..if he had to do the phasers but getting the lockout kit would void the warranty because you have to get a tuner.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 PM
US ARMY

Talked to my buddy who works for Lincoln. He said its a 50/50 shot that the phasers are making the noise vs the solenoid. He said worst case, i just bring it back and they just treat it as a re-check which makes me not pay my deductible again. I am 100% the dealer will give me problems if i have to bring it back but i will fight it. I just hope the solenoids will fix it.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:59 PM
PBR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cam phaser ticking started at about 110,000 miles. It was fairly quiet but annoying to start. I am currently at 180,000 miles and over the past 10,000 miles there has been a large reduction in power of the engine and it is starting to chug. The noise had gotten to the point that I can no longer tolerate it. I just dropped it off today at the local shop and they are putting in a Powertrain products long block. I am also having gibson headers installed along with all new belts, hoses, waterpump and thermostat. Should be good to go for at least another 180,000. This truck has been upgraded from daily driver to overland build. I may start a build thread shortly.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Who doesn't want a F150?

Received 189 Likes on 152 Posts

So from my past experience with the famous Cam phasers.....
I will make a long story short . I had a 2004 that had the noise when i bought it 4 to 5 years ago with 76,000 miles. Shortly after, I had a ford tech do the work on the side for me he changed the solenoids and cam phasers and spark plugs that was it at the time because i thought that was all that needed to be changed .... I was wrong, maybe three months went by and the noise came back so i drove it with noise until it got worse. One day i parked to get something from a gas station came back out to start the truck only to have it running on half the cylinders, at this point it had 94,000 miles on it. I had it tore down to find the chain tensioner guide broke a chunk off and wedged it at the top of the timing chain. The cause of this was do to the hydraulic tensioner/ blocks cant remember the exact name been too long froze up causing too much slack for the plastic tensioner to hold . Bought a whole front engine rebuild kit . It was quiet as a church mouse after that. Sold it at hundred thousand miles. Loved the truck just not the motor. Sorry for the long post it not to bash the 3v 5.4 just making people aware of my trip with it. Some people have had really good luck with them , my buddy put 140,000 on his no issues at all .
Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 AM
US ARMY

Originally Posted by RaceRed14
So from my past experience with the famous Cam phasers.....
I will make a long story short . I had a 2004 that had the noise when i bought it 4 to 5 years ago with 76,000 miles. Shortly after, I had a ford tech do the work on the side for me he changed the solenoids and cam phasers and spark plugs that was it at the time because i thought that was all that needed to be changed .... I was wrong, maybe three months went by and the noise came back so i drove it with noise until it got worse. One day i parked to get something from a gas station came back out to start the truck only to have it running on half the cylinders, at this point it had 94,000 miles on it. I had it tore down to find the chain tensioner guide broke a chunk off and wedged it at the top of the timing chain. The cause of this was do to the hydraulic tensioner/ blocks cant remember the exact name been too long froze up causing too much slack for the plastic tensioner to hold . Bought a whole front engine rebuild kit . It was quiet as a church mouse after that. Sold it at hundred thousand miles. Loved the truck just not the motor. Sorry for the long post it not to bash the 3v 5.4 just making people aware of my trip with it. Some people have had really good luck with them , my buddy put 140,000 on his no issues at all .
Thanks for your story! I talked to the guy at the dealership and as soon as my warranty expires and if i decide to keep the truck, i am going to have them install the Cam phaser lock out kit. Hes only going to charge me half on labor.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:16 AM
Who doesn't want a F150?

Received 189 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by yones12
Thanks for your story! I talked to the guy at the dealership and as soon as my warranty expires and if i decide to keep the truck, i am going to have them install the Cam phaser lock out kit. Hes only going to charge me half on labor.
Sounds like a plan, hope it all works out for you

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 5.4L Cam Phaser