Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 4.6 3V Fuel Injector Tick

Old 09-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2010 4.6 3V Fuel Injector Tick

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my fuel injectors. They're noisy, very noisy. I can slightly hear them in the cab, however as soon the fan or radio is turned on, it won't be audible; however going through a drive through, or standing next to the truck it can be heard 40+ feet away.

Dealer states it is normal, due to the engine being made out of aluminum + plastic intake, it resonates and gives off that awful noise.

In my opinion, if it was normal, shouldn't it do it all the time, cold or warm?

When cold, my engine won't tick, only once warmed up. If I start it in the morning, and leave it warm up, it won't tick until all of a sudden it's a ticking song. I also noticed sometimes being stopped at a red light or waiting in line at a drive through, the engine RPM will drop all of a sudden, almost to a stall for a split of a second, come back to normal, then the pesky injector noise will go away, and engine will run just fine - and vice versa.

What little I've done trying to fix issue:
Regular gas, premium gas -no change
Injector Cleaner additive - no dice

I figured maybe the battery had something to do with it - I ensured battery was top notch - no dice. Alternator = perfect.

When driving with the windows down, I can hear the fuel injectors ticking until engine Revs around 1400-1500RPM - while I understand it does'nt affect engine performance or life expectancy, it drives my teeth to a grind everytime I hear those injectors...

Work done to the engine - cam phasers were replaced last year
K&N cold air intake + dynomax cat-back dual exhaust installed a couple months ago

Engine has always had this injector tick before or after work performed as described above.

What I'm considering doing: Change the fuel injectors to either new OEM, or aftermarket - Been scouring the net for some answers / resolution, but haven't been able to find anything conclusive...

Anyone was able to resolve or at least turn down the volume on that fuel injector tick plague?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

Anyone? Perhaps some ideas I didn't think of?

Luc
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Owned one for over 60k miles from new. Completely normal.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mallet, I have this same problem... Did you ever find a solution. My truck has about 150,000 KM on it so I was thinking that the injectors were finished. I had the truck checked for exhaust leaks and anything else I could think of but My dealer told me the same thing yours did.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

As others have noted ... -NORMAL- *Had a 2009 with the 4.6L 3V

Between the injectors, cam phasers, plastic intake manifold, no engine cover, and no NVH dampeners you're going to have -clicking-.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same engine in my 2010 it's normal. Before this truck I had an 04 with 5.4l 3v and it ticked liked all hell, between its noisy injectors and cam phaser problems it was loud. But my 4.6 3v has a light tick compared to that. It should be nothing to worry about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 4.6 3V Fuel Injector Tick