2009 f150 Trailer Brake Controller Question - Page 2 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 f150 Trailer Brake Controller Question

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Cool, thanks. Now I need to go find one used. I'm poor (cheap) and hate to buy a new one.
Jonathan Silverthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well I added the controller today and went to the dealer(s) to see about getting it flashed. One dealer quoted me $60.00 and said it would take them two hours and the other dealer, where I originally bought the truck said $120.00 because they would also have to see if it would work on the truck. The instructions that I got with this from an Ohio Ford dealer shows the steps and it's nothing. If you have the programer the dealer has. I don't get any error messages and I'm wondering if mine was supposed to have the module with the display. I haven't hooked it to a trailer either so maybe it'll show something then. Maybe I got lucky and it's already enabled. Probably not.

Jon
Jonathan Silverthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
marrs1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South of Detroit, Downriver.
Posts: 309
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I installed the OEM ford trailer brake in my 2010. It's a 5 minute job for the dealership to activate it. Don't let them tell you otherwise. I gave them the instructions that came with it. I didn't even get my coffee and it was done. Cost $20. Don't pay $60. There is no need.
marrs1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marrs1721 For This Useful Post:
Jonathan Silverthorn (07-20-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
2nd Amendment Supporter!
 
Lethal Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cranberry Twp, Pa
Posts: 1,379
Thanked 365 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs1721 View Post
I installed the OEM ford trailer brake in my 2010. It's a 5 minute job for the dealership to activate it. Don't let them tell you otherwise. I gave them the instructions that came with it. I didn't even get my coffee and it was done. Cost $20. Don't pay $60. There is no need.
I am going to install an OEM controller for a good friend & 3 dealerships in the area are consistent with charging $95.00! (they state that they have to charge the minimum hourly rate).
I need to find a local (non Ford dealer) with the proper computer program to see if they can do it cheaper...but so far, it looks like my friend will have no choice to pay it. ???? Still checking around & I'm hoping I can find someone to do it cheaper.
Lethal Weapon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
marrs1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South of Detroit, Downriver.
Posts: 309
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalweapon_09 View Post
I am going to install an OEM controller for a good friend & 3 dealerships in the area are consistent with charging $95.00! (they state that they have to charge the minimum hourly rate). I need to find a local (non Ford dealer) with the proper computer program to see if they can do it cheaper...but so far, it looks like my friend will have no choice to pay it. ???? Still checking around & I'm hoping I can find someone to do it cheaper.
$95 is robbery!! Luckily here in southeastern Michigan we have dozens of ford dealers. Not many are familiar with it because most trucks already come with it factory installed. If you give them the instruction book it tells them exactly what buttons to push on their computer. I hope you can find someone cheap. It is literally 5 minutes. Hook to their computer. Hit a button and done. They are ripping you off if they take longer and charge more than $20-30. Good luck.
marrs1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marrs1721 For This Useful Post:
Lethal Weapon (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
2nd Amendment Supporter!
 
Lethal Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cranberry Twp, Pa
Posts: 1,379
Thanked 365 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs1721 View Post
$95 is robbery!! Luckily here in southeastern Michigan we have dozens of ford dealers. Not many are familiar with it because most trucks already come with it factory installed. If you give them the instruction book it tells them exactly what buttons to push on their computer. I hope you can find someone cheap. It is literally 5 minutes. Hook to their computer. Hit a button and done. They are ripping you off if they take longer and charge more than $20-30. Good luck.
Yea! Tell me about it! All of my local dealers are very knowledgeable about the flashing procedure when an OEM TBC is installed..... but yea.... I'm backed in a corner here! My service advisor is good & I kinda know him BUT he says there is no way of getting "around it". (He don't agree either). But when they pull a vehicle in & a service write up is processed, it's an hour charge right off the bat!. He even said the same thing... It only takes a few minutes to complete!

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 07-19-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Lethal Weapon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
marrs1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South of Detroit, Downriver.
Posts: 309
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I wonder if it would make a difference if I emailed you a copy of the service receipt from my dealer. I do not know if each one sets their own prices or not.
marrs1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marrs1721 For This Useful Post:
Lethal Weapon (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #18
2nd Amendment Supporter!
 
Lethal Weapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cranberry Twp, Pa
Posts: 1,379
Thanked 365 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs1721 View Post
I wonder if it would make a difference if I emailed you a copy of the service receipt from my dealer. I do not know if each one sets their own prices or not.
I appreciate the idea. Not sure if they would price match other dealers???
Thanks Marrs! if you don't mind and at your convenience, just PM me the pic of the invoice if you don't mind.... wait can we email each other pics on here?...if not, let me know and I could PM you my email address. That actually may not be a bad idea.
I already have the OEM TBC in my truck, But I'm just helping a friend who does not have an OEM TBC, and this is definitely better than going with an aftermarket one. Again, I'm just helping them to do it right & still try to help them save a little extra $$
Thanks & get a hold of me when your free!
Thanks again!

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 07-20-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Lethal Weapon is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My New 2015 and Initial Thoughts FlatBlack XD 2015 - Present Ford F150 18 07-05-2017 11:33 PM
ABS light, Brake light, Check Brake System and anti skid indicators on analog readout jgriffinemt 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 17 05-06-2017 01:41 PM
Extended gas tank. Getemshug 2015 - Present Ford F150 1 09-02-2015 09:25 PM
Rear Rotor removal - parking brake holding on jrp76 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 9 09-02-2015 08:37 PM
Aftermarket Brake Controller? Does it still require Ford dealer to activate? ChicagoJim 2015 - Present Ford F150 3 09-02-2015 05:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: