Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 sets of wheels/tpms sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2 sets of wheels/tpms sensors ?

I'm buying set of wheels for my truck but still want to run my stockers in the winter. How does it work having 2 sets of tpms sensors? Will I need to go get them reset every time I switch wheels?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

It would help to know what model year you have - nothing in your post, and I looked in your profile as well, and nothing is there to indicate your vehicle's info.

However, for my 2013 nothing happens automatically, and I suspect your reset/relearn procedure will be similar to that below that I excerpted from the 2013 online owner's manual:

Performing the System Reset Procedure
Read the entire procedure before attempting.
1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes and then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition. 3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. This must be accomplished within 10 seconds.
If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will sound once, the system indicator will flash and a message is shown in the information display (if equipped). If this does not occur, please try again starting at Step 2.
If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message is shown in the information display (if equipped), seek service from your authorized dealer.
5. Note: Train the tire pressure monitoring system sensors in the tires using the following system reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following clockwise order:
• Left front (Driver’s side front tire)
• Right front (Passenger’s side front tire)
• Right rear (Passenger’s side rear tire)
• Left rear (Driver’s side rear tire)
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire; decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and must be repeated.
7. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire; decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
8. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire; decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
9. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire; decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds. Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained (driver’s side rear tire), the system indicator stops flashing, and a message is shown in the information display (if equipped).
10. Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and must be repeated.
If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer.
11. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure as indicated on the Safety Compliance Certification Label (affixed to either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver’s seating position) or Tire Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver’s door. See Load Carrying for more information.

Bottom line - the TPMS computer in the truck can only hold four sensor ID#s, so if your truck is like mine, every time you swap to a different set of wheels that has different sensors you'll need to do the reset or relearn procedure.

Check your owner's manual to see what it says for your model year.

Bob
The following 2 users liked this post by KR Kodi:
David Price (04-02-2014), Mattm400 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

yes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Have 3 sets of wheels all with TPMS and once initialized and set, I've never had to (re)initialize and/or (re)set any of 'em.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sub'd
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by cm351f
I'm buying set of wheels for my truck but still want to run my stockers in the winter. How does it work having 2 sets of tpms sensors? Will I need to go get them reset every time I switch wheels?
I don't know about all these other guys but I bought a set of aftermarket wheels and tires for winter/off road. I put my 20s back on for the highway summer driving. I have the factory tpms in the factory 20s and I installed a set of OEM TPMS into my aftermarket wheels when I had the new tires put on.

I have done and continue to do NOTHING! The units sync themselves and I'm yet to get any warning light.

I bought my second set of TPMS from these guys.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...s#.UzzQIsczgXw

I went with the 315 mhz ones as I don't plan on running LT tires with higher levels of tire pressure. Set of four for $120.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts

I have 2 sets of wheels and TPMS and change them in summer and winter I do not have to do anything truck sees them.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the others above. No need to relearn when swapping back and forth.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry its a 2013 xlt. But glad to know I can do the relearn at home and don't have to take it anywhere (if it doesn't automaticly do it itself)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
It would help to know what model year you have - nothing in your post, and I looked in your profile as well, and nothing is there to indicate your vehicle's info.

However, for my 2013 nothing happens automatically, and I suspect your reset/relearn procedure will be similar to that below that I excerpted from the 2013 online owner's manual:

Bottom line - the TPMS computer in the truck can only hold four sensor ID#s, so if your truck is like mine, every time you swap to a different set of wheels that has different sensors you'll need to do the reset or relearn procedure.

Check your owner's manual to see what it says for your model year.

Bob
so...no TPMS in the spare tire..

Quick Reply: 2 sets of wheels/tpms sensors ?