Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 ambient lighting question and plea to Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default '13 ambient lighting question and plea to Ford

Curious if anyone out there may know the answer to this factually, or may be more technically inclined than I am to to take a good guess. Does anyone know how the current factory ambient lighting ties into the new MFT interface? Last year, the lighting control for the Platinum and above was enabled through a small switch in the center console. In '13, the MFT color wheel controls the lighting.

For the record, I'm still quite disappointed that Ford considers ambient lighting such a premium option that they can't bring it down to the Lariat level, which is also a premium trim model in the line up. They brought it down to the King Ranch this year, but not the Lariat, which makes absolutely no sense to me, especially since MFT is standard issue on the Lariat. Personally, I think ambient lighting should go hand in hand with MFT since it's now controlled through that interface, and it would certainly be easy thing to offer/change.

All of that being said, it's the only option in the Lariat that I think is missing, and I don't think it's worth $5K to purchase a Platinum just for this (I understand there are more differences between the two models). I realize some may not care about a small, single feature....but I'm a bells and whistles guy, and I think the lighting is cool....

I did some work with Tasca when I was in the market for a '12 and was able to piece together most if not all of the parts back when the lighting was controlled from the center console switch. I'm wondering if it's a simple plug in thing with MFT, or if there is also some "programming" that might also be missing??

If nothing else, this thread is my own personal plea to Ford to bring this option down one more trim level, and make it a standard feature, or at least option, with MFT. All of the trim pieces are interchangeable where ambient lighting is installed, so this could be a simple change to further differentiate the Lariat model.....
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please PM me the info you gathered on the 12' lighting. I too like the ambient and my Lariat doesnt have it and it irritates me.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Not sure about the new interface question...but there are MANY threads on this topic. Many people on here have installed ambient lighting after the fact.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/ambien...talled-160620/

Quick Reply: '13 ambient lighting question and plea to Ford