Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 stx trans temp gauge problems ? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 09 stx trans temp gauge problems ? Help!

hello, i have a 2009 Ford STX reg cab 2wd with a 4.6 2V 4R75E transmission.
bought the truck used with 54000 miles on it about a year ago. lately the transmission temp gauge rises to mid way as it warms up and stays there while driving. However lately it drops back down to 0 (stone cold) anytime i turn the key off and restart the truck. Doesn't matter if i restart it within 5 seconds or 1 hour. The gauge always drops back down to 0 then slowly rises as if the trans fluid is getting up to operating temp. But i know it's completely hot 5 seconds latter? Also i notice one time while taking off last week that the trans free rev while shifting between gears like it was knocked into neutral for a split second at about 35 40 mph under normal acceleration. Has not happen since and trans seems to operate normal. fluid looks good and level is good. truck has 60000 miles on it now. Is this a start of a problem with the trans or is the problem with the gauge cause driveability issues? Anyone know if Ford had TSB's on this gauge issue. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed? thanks for any help. I am going to see the dealer Tuesday but i am sure they won't give any information.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does it too and has for 5 years now, 111,000 miles on it now.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 PM

That's odd, I know with my truck that the gauge did not function this way for the 1st 9 months or so that i have owned it. Only started to do this a few weeks ago. Still doesn't explain the split second slippage that i experience the other day. I checked and have no codes set. i guess i will have to pull the pan down and do a inspection and service for starters. thanks for the input.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 PM

Default j-mods any good for the 4r75e trans?

I pulled the pan down and all looks good. pan super clean, magnet clean, first service, it had the plastic plug floating around in the fluid. I installed a Dorman pan with a drain plug so i can drain the fluid easy at home and remove the pan for repairs.

I am going to replace the trans fluid sensor and trans thermo by pass valve which is in the trans lines going to the trans cooler as my truck has the trans cooling option on it to see if that cures my gauge problems.

i was wondering if the j-mods are applicable to the lastest 4R75E trans or just for the older model W transmissions?
anyone know more about this ?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My trans temp gauge barely moves unless I drive it hard, or get on the highway, then it will move to the middle spot (normal) on the gauge. Truck shifts fine, but I am curious as to why it seems to run so cool most of the time.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Wtf, my 2014 stx doesn't have a trans temp guage and I want one

Quick Reply: 09 stx trans temp gauge problems ? Help!