Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 f150 super crew cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 f150 super crew cranks but won't start

I was driving home from work last night and the truck started shutting down, the oil pressure dropped and oil light came on..I pulled over and shut off the truck and checked the oil and it was fine. I tried to start it but would only crank. I tried resetting the pcm and replaced the oil pressure sending unit and still won't start.. Now when i try to start it, it says check brake system and the traction control alert comes on and still won't start... Any ideas .. Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Scan for codes first. Can you hear the pump come on with key in the on position , it pressurizes then shuts off.

Is security light on dash lite up ?
Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 PM
meb

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

long throw from left field....fuel pump?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 PM

Would it say anything on the message screen about a fuel system issue if the pump was out? It came on the other night after it happened.. Not sure if its putting out what it should be .. And I saw online where ppl were talking about the fuel control driver module too.. I also noticed my auxillary ports in the truck weren't working anymore neither after this happened, which had always worked fine.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM
meb

Guess, I'm not being much of a help. No, it wouldn't say anything. Fuel pump problems usually manifest themselves....A scenario....you stop at the drug store and you come out and your truck won't start. 10 minutes later you try it and it starts. You go home, come out the next day, it starts; you go somewhere get out come back and it doesn't start. Almost sounds electrical with you mentioning the aux ports. Still though, not telling you what to do, but if it was/is the pump they are easy to replace in my opinion versus the dealer charging a BOAT LOAD of cash. I'd say of the top of my head 250 yourself versus 700-800 dealer. They suck!!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM

Yeah last night when I checked it again I didn't hear the fuel pump kick in on
Old 01-03-2015, 05:29 PM
meb

Some thoughts here and perhaps some other members can chime in. You can test the fuel pressure, I believe, on a port at the top of the motor. What you would do is yank out the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for 5 seconds to relieve the pressure out of the system. You would typically do this, for example, if you were replacing the fuel filter or an injector. Put the fuse back with the proper gauge and see if you have pressure. I.E. The pump working or not. Can anyone add to this?

Just for comparisons, make sure you test the pressure prior to relieving it.

Last edited by meb; 01-03-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: mis-type and more info
Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

I haven't looked for one on my truck yet, but there should be a Schrader valve to hook a fuel pressure gauge to. Maybe there's a picture online to find it along with what the pressure should be.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:30 PM

Everything seems to be pointing to the fuel pump.. Is it easier to drop the tank or pull the bed off?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM
meb

Drop the tank. You have to disconnect two hoses first (filler and vent). There should be two straps you'll have to remove to drop it. Get a jack and a 2 X 4 underneath it to lower it. An extra set of arms to orchestrate the whole thing doesn't hurt.

I would still check the fuel pressure, unload the pressure as described above, then with the fuse back crank it to see if you got pressure. No pressure would give you piece of mind that all the work you are about to do is the correct diagnosis.

Quick Reply: 09 f150 super crew cranks but won't start