Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Winch kit?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 346 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Winch kit?

Since this is the first 4x4 I've owned where putting a winch bumper and winch on isn't doubling the cost of the rig, I'm doing so. I have a bumper and a 12k-rated winch on order, and I'm looking at winch accessories. It seems like I should have at least a couple of ****** blocks, tree savers, and enough shackles for both; right now, I've got three shackles and a recovery strap in the truck already; I'm looking at

one soft shackle for hooking up to non-sharp-edged metal surfaces where a d-ring isn't ideal

****** block, figuring on picking up two

tree saver, 8'x4", also thinking I should get two

I'm somewhat tempted by this X-Bull kit on Amazon, but the brand name means nothing to me and there are no reviews. On the other hand, the pull ratings all seem reasonable, and having a kit-in-a-bag would be nice. It's only got one ****** block, but I could add another to the kit and still be well under the SmittyBilt package price.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm value-conscious: I want to spend just as much as I need to...but not any less. Buying stuff twice because you went cheap the first time isn't nearly as economical as it would seem.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

I hope your bumper and your winch doesn't block the intercooler opening.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Yeah, he's gonna need to relocate the intercooler.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
Bumper manufacturer says it's got enough airflow. I'm planning to measure inlet area (stock and on the new bumper) to compare and also do some data logging to watch for any indication of issues.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by kbroderick
Bumper manufacturer says it's got enough airflow. I'm planning to measure inlet area (stock and on the new bumper) to compare and also do some data logging to watch for any indication of issues.
We could be wrong then. What bumper did you get?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Senile member

Originally Posted by tareed94
yah, my interest is piqued now!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by tareed94
HNC Metalcraft (https://www.hncusa.com/ford/ford-f150-duty-front-2015)

Looking at the access ports on the bumper, I'm pretty sure the bumper alone won't be any problem (there's not a whole lot of air inlet area on the OEM bumper, either), but until I get it mounted up with the winch on I'm not going to be 100% convinced—how much airflow the winch blocks could be an issue.

They weren't the only manufacturer to claim EcoBoost compatibility, but they were the only ones to claim EcoBoost compatibility with a winch and come in at a relatively reasonable weight (I'm okay with the bumper and winch together coming in slightly over 200 pounds, but I don't want the bumper alone to do that).

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll know for sure until next summer whether or not there's enough air flow with the winch in place.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by kbroderick
HNC Metalcraft (https://www.hncusa.com/ford/ford-f150-duty-front-2015)

Looking at the access ports on the bumper, I'm pretty sure the bumper alone won't be any problem (there's not a whole lot of air inlet area on the OEM bumper, either), but until I get it mounted up with the winch on I'm not going to be 100% convinced—how much airflow the winch blocks could be an issue.

They weren't the only manufacturer to claim EcoBoost compatibility, but they were the only ones to claim EcoBoost compatibility with a winch and come in at a relatively reasonable weight (I'm okay with the bumper and winch together coming in slightly over 200 pounds, but I don't want the bumper alone to do that).

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll know for sure until next summer whether or not there's enough air flow with the winch in place.
I bet those other inlets add up to the same square area as the stock bumper inlet. Bumper looks great! What bar did you go with?

As far as recovery gear, look at Rhino USA. I have a strap and a shackle receiver from them. They've got great reviews on Amazon and they're not super expensive.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Senile member

Recovery gear: Bubba Rope, and only bubba rope. You can get a ****** block just about anywhere.

Check out all the bubba rope stuff, and for proof of concept just youtube videos of recoveries using their stuff.

Search this Thread