Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Winch to battery connection? (2012 F150)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Winch to battery connection? (2012 F150)

I have a 2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost Lariat 4x4...

I just installed a winch mount and a winch, but can't figure out how to connect it to the battery. I have two problems:

(1) The manual says not to connect accessories directly to the NEGATIVE terminal. Apparently doing so messes up the battery charge monitor.

o There is a fairly heavy wire that goes from the negative terminal, through the current sensor, and attaches to the chassis near the windshield washer filler cap, but I'm worried that it might not be fat enough to carry the 320 Amps my winch can draw at max load.

o It looks like there's room in the loop of the current sensor for me to route the winch's negative lead. Could I attach it directly to the battery if I run it through the current sensor?

(2) The POSITIVE cable from the winch needs to attach to a circuit breaker assembly, which in turn needs to be attached to the battery's positive terminal. But there's already a bunch of stuff attached directly to Ford's battery clamp. Is my best bet to cut the positive lead from the winch and attach the circuit breaker in mid-line?

Quick Reply: Winch to battery connection? (2012 F150)