Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

whos got Long travel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default whos got Long travel?

Here in a couple years Im thinking about giving my truck a full LT susp. kit. Ive seen many on the market, mostly from 6.5" to 7.5" of lift and up to like 16" of travel in the front. and some just have blocks or AALs in the back. what do yall have/ ideas on what the best kit out there is?

just some companies I saw: fabtech, camburg, Richtor racing, poly performance and some other lil companies.

and what size tires do yall run? as well as wheels?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camburg is a very solid kit. i have the h@m kit on my lightning and ii thiink it's the best out there. they have the geometry wired and it works great. those two would be my suggestions. just google search them cause i don't have the links. you should also go on race-dezert.com for extensive opinions from experts in the shop section.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM

sorry but i temporarily geled on your tire question. i run 37x12.50x17 goodyear race tires on 17 inch walker evans wheels. most guys run 35's or 37's. depends on how you're geared.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
will run you OVER

Ive been told most ppl go on 17s. which just so happen to be what my stockers are....but ill prolly get a non spiffy set to go off roadin on. and I think Camburg seems to be my best bet for a kit.

a guy told me to go here: http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/index.php and some ppl are getting like 20" of travel!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 PM
gr8dane

I agree, Camburg is the way to go for the front. Solid, dependable, and race proven. what you do with the rear depends on what your plans are with the truck. I have about 16" up front and 10 in the rear with some deaver leaf springs in the rear. I wont go much further than that just because I still do a little towing every now and then and I use my bed on a regular basis. If you're interested in going with more travel for the rear, you can go with a bed cage, some shackles, and a set of coilovers and probably get 16-18" of travel with the rear. Fender flares are a must if you're going to be using all that travel. My rear fenders were cut and pulled out to fit the wheels and still keep the stock bed. Consider upgrading power steering setup, brake lines, brakes, posi for the rear (i love my ford racing posi. A posi and 35's does wonders for a 2wd truck), traction bars for the rear (prevents axle wrap which is a common problem with big tires and soft suspension) and what ever you do, remember to regear to something like 4.56 gears of you go with 35's or 37's.

For tires, I'm a huge fan of the BFG all-terrain. 35x12.5 on a 17x8 or 17x9 rim is the universal off road tire. If you are spending a lot of time in the desert, see if you can get your hands on some BFG Baja T/A tires. expensive, but the tires are bullet proof. its a specialty high speed tire that a lot of trucks/buggys race with.

one last thing, I am a huge fan of camburg, but check around your area and see if there are any local shops that are heavily involved in racing on a regular basis. The companies that are usually have good LT kits available for our trucks. The kit on my truck was done by someone local, it was a custom one off kit, but the guy knew what he was doing . Instead of buying new ibeams, he used ones from an older mid 80's f150. They have a boxed ibeam which is a lot stronger than the newer one piece cast ibeam. They were longer as well, which in turn gave me a wider stance and more travel. There are options out there, you just need to find a good shop with a lot of knowlege. And if you still want to do most of the work yourself, go with camburg.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
will run you OVER

ya Im just like you. I want to have fun, but still use the truck as a truck w/ towing and hauling in the bed. so I think Ill just stick with deavers. And I know of 2 shops here close but Im not sure as how well they can do LTs, I know of ppl going there to get straight lifts though...

I doubt that I will do the work, the shop could do a way better job than I can.

for just driving around town how does yours do? does it sway much since you do have a softer susp.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
gr8dane

its a tank, and it corners like a tank. But thats more from it being big, not really from the suspension. Not much sway either. Freeway driving is fine, no handling issues there. Parking is sometimes hard. My front is 4" wider on each side so I have to be a little careful not to hit any small cars. If you do go with the deavers, get a good set of bilistine shocks to replace the OEM ones and you'll do just fine
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
will run you OVER

how bad is the turning radius? Im sure that even if its bad you can just go over obsticles lol

and how much actual lift from stock did you get out of it?

I did see this: http://www.camburg.com/fords97f150p.html but is the LT 6.5"?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM

I was actually interested in the same camburg lift here is the answer the sales rep from camburg gave me when i asked about the install on the LT suspension:
We would usually install a set of Deaver leaf springs for the rearend. A set of bilstein could be bolted into the stock location, but ideally a custom bedcage w/ larger bypass shocks would be the best option. Obviously the prices are very different, but the front end will only work as good as the back. I do installs everyday here at the shop, and that kit is definitely one of my most labor intensive. The install cost would be around $2k for the front.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
will run you OVER

2k just for the front? that seems a touch high. I could understand it if that included the rear w/ bed cage, which I will not get since I still want a functional bed and towing capabilities.

and thats at the Camburg shop correct? thats prolly where, If I had the money to get the kit in the first place, I would get it all installed so they can do it properly. I dont want someone to halfass it and I fu*k it up and end up totalling my truck.

Quick Reply: whos got Long travel?