Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Wheelspin +4x4 Shift = KRRUUNNNKKKK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheelspin +4x4 Shift = KRRUUNNNKKKK!

Had occasion to try out the 4x4 on my "brand new to me" '03. Went to shift to 4h right as my back wheels spun a little and heard a terrible....KRRUUUUNNNKKK! noise. NOT what I wanted to hear from a truck that I've had less than 24 hrs LOL!

What did I do to my T case and 4x4 gear? Everything seems fine now but I'm sort of worried I abused my poor truck!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not knowing what speed or load the drive train was under at the time of the shift, possibly nothing has been damaged. Did it seem to work alright? Am sure the off roaders will help you more.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the comeback....speed was maybe 5 mph in loose mud. Everything seems to work fine but I was wondering what I might have stressed and or where to look to see any potential prob. There was no load on the truck other than body weight. Wasn't pulling anything. Just as I was shifting to 4x4 the rear wheels spun a bit. Just got the truck yesterday (03 Sport 4x4 reg cab),
so I am still kinda paranoid about it....especially after driving a Dakota for the last 5-6 years. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

If you were doin only 5mph you should be fine, but if your were skidding or free spinning in the mud that might be where you got your clunking sound.....

was the sound from the front or the rear???
Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
If you were doin only 5mph you should be fine, but if your were skidding or free spinning in the mud that might be where you got your clunking sound.....
I'm thinking the rear wheels were spinning too. I had my 02 stuck once in 2wd and tried to get out by switching into 4wd and had the same thing happen to me. This was because the rear wheels were stuck/spinning and the fronts were not when I did this. Don't shift into 4wd if you are already spinning the rear wheels.

If you haven't shifted in 4WL yet, you will hear a clunk (sounds more like a clank) when doing so, this is normal because you changing to another set of gears. Make sure you have the shifter in neutral and you foot is pressing down on the brake pedal.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 PM

That's what happened...I took off in some mud, the rear end started to skate sideways, the front wheels were probably not turning much at all when I hit the button.

It was sort of a panic mode as there were DEEP canals on either side of the muddy dirt road, and I REALLY wanted some pull from the front.

Everything seems to be ok thank goodness. I guess it was from the difference in speed between the front and rear drive.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 PM

what you probably heard was the front axle and T-case trying to match the wheelspeed of your rear tires. You must have all 4 wheel turning the same speed to shift on the fly, and be stopped to go 4 lo. I have found that 4HI doesn't always like to engage completely if you are stuck in 2wd and cant roll forward or back. 4LO is usually better, but always eeeeaaaaaasssseeeee on the throttle after shifting to ensure everything's locked in. It's hard to trust an electronic dial on the dash. I've found it better off to just engage 4wd hi or lo on hard ground before you try to go through something, although that leaves out bragging rights about "I just made it in 2wd!!!"

If you're really worried, check the drain plugs on your front axle and T-case, which are magnetic, and look for excessive metal shavings or worse, chunks. If you just got the truck, you may just want to change these fluids anyways, along with everything else
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chad085
If you're really worried, check the drain plugs on your front axle and T-case, which are magnetic, and look for excessive metal shavings or worse, chunks.
Magnetic drain plugs I just changed the fluid in my transfer case and I didn't notice the plug having a magnet in it. I am getting ready to do the front axle so I can't say for certain yet, but I'm pretty sure it does not have a drain plug, only a fill plug, at least that's the way it was on my rear when I did it the other day.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 AM

well I'm definetly not a ford engineer, but i was always told that the drain plugs themselves were somehow magnetized, and since metal shavings have a tendency to stick to them i assumed this was the case. Perhaps one of the resident experts can chime in here????

The rear diff doesn't need a drain plug because you can easily remove the diff cover and drain the fluid. (and get a real good visual on the internal organs). The front IFS axle however has to be completely removed from the truck and the cases split to achieve the same effect, so they give you a drain plug to make fluid changes easy.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont worry about breaking anything. just next time make sure you are easy on the throttle when you angage into 4wd and you really shouldnt engage while you have rear wheel spin.

Quick Reply: Wheelspin +4x4 Shift = KRRUUNNNKKKK!