Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Whats the best leveling kit out there for a new 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:42 AM
D K

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whats the best leveling kit out there for a new 2018?

I guess a spacer is a spacer, but do people have preference of one over another?

i would love to find a good cost effective solution for a 2 1/4-2 1/2 front lift. One that will see lots of off road.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'd stick to 2". Any more than that starts taking a pretty good toll on the upper ball joints. Auto Spring is a good product.
The following users liked this post:
D K (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:50 AM
D K

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

are the 'spacer' systems better than longer shocks for example?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
are the 'spacer' systems better than longer shocks for example?
No they are not to put it plainly. A spacer kit will never perform as well as Coilover leveling kit. Also, a spacer puts added stress on your OEM coilovers without upgrading any of the actual coilover leading to added stress and higher risk of malfunction. I've seen plenty work just fine for everyday street use, but I've also seen them cause OEM coilovers to buckle with mild off-road use.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Because you said the truck will see a lot of off road, I would definitely go with aftermarket coilovers and not a spacer.

Everyone's definition of "cost effective" is different, but take a look at Halo Lifts for something a little less expensive that can handle off road. Then I would say Icon or King if you want to spend a little more.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by D K
I guess a spacer is a spacer, but do people have preference of one over another?

i would love to find a good cost effective solution for a 2 1/4-2 1/2 front lift. One that will see lots of off road.
Spacers are not meant to be used for off road.

Just like mentioned above, cost effective is different for others.

Really find out what your overall goal is with your truck and what your budget is.

If you plan on off roading, go with a good set of coilovers and uniball upper arm and call it a day.

Do it once the first time.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 PM

I'm new to the front end lift with the Ford. My 2006 Silverado was leveled by cranking up the torsion bars. It was fairly simple and I got 90k miles out of it with no suspension issues at all. I had Bilstein shocks all the way around. I took my old truck "off road" only sometimes and when I visited Minnesota in the snow.

How will adding the 2" spacer on the Ford truck be different than on my Silverado for the long haul? My truck has a huge rake that needs to be fixed.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I'm new to the front end lift with the Ford. My 2006 Silverado was leveled by cranking up the torsion bars. It was fairly simple and I got 90k miles out of it with no suspension issues at all. I had Bilstein shocks all the way around. I took my old truck "off road" only sometimes and when I visited Minnesota in the snow.

How will adding the 2" spacer on the Ford truck be different than on my Silverado for the long haul? My truck has a huge rake that needs to be fixed.
It really comes down how the truck is going to be used.

To just get the truck leveled for looks and a daily driver, a spacer is fine. If you are going to be " using " the truck, at least upgrade the shocks.

My suggestion is to spend just a little bit more and get at least leveling struts for a leveled look and better performance
Old 05-24-2018, 03:56 PM

Let me ask another question...when you keep stating that the spacers are not to be used for off road, are you referring to 4 wheeling in the mud and full blown off-roading, or is mild off roading ok? Mild off roading would mean traveling through a field, or driving on the beach, playing in heavy snow, etc. I had no issues doing that stuff with the torsion bars cranked up, but obviously don't want to damage this new truck.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Let me ask another question...when you keep stating that the spacers are not to be used for off road, are you referring to 4 wheeling in the mud and full blown off-roading, or is mild off roading ok? Mild off roading would mean traveling through a field, or driving on the beach, playing in heavy snow, etc. I had no issues doing that stuff with the torsion bars cranked up, but obviously don't want to damage this new truck.
Anything that involves your suspension to be used other than a daily driver, I would recommend upgrading the suspension.

Even just going with better shocks and upgraded upper arm to give you better suspension articulation.

Quick Reply: Whats the best leveling kit out there for a new 2018?