Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Truck leveling help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck leveling help

Does anyone know where I can get a leveling kit for a 1998 f 150 4 wd? I don't know if I can use torsion key leveling kits because I cranked up my stock bars and keys and I keep bustin the cv boots and it's getting annoying so I need a leveling kit that will keep my axles straight but at the same time lift the front 2.5-3 inches. Because whenever I crank the factory bars and keys it puts a strain on my axle and I need a kit that keeps it straight but 2.5-3 inches in the front
Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

You can't keep your axels straight with a levelling kit. A levelling kit will not solve your problems of eating cv boots either, that is why levelling kits are not the answer.

What you want is a proper suspension lift or a stock height truck. Either one will be fine. Levelling kits will wear all your front end parts because they change the angles of all your front end parts. A suspension lift is designed so that doesn't happen. Get a 4 inch rough country and turn your tbars back to normal.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM

Truck leveling help-image-1688482715.jpg

Anyone think I can fit 33" 12.50 r17s? It's about 2" in the front 1 in the back
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by deerhunter53
33's should be fine but it's a matter of the offset of your wheels, because most of the time the tire is too wide (12.50 wide) and it will rub the suspension components. When flexing too much off road could cause the tread to rub up in the fender well. Depends on the tire though.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 PM

[quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM

Rear AAL will bump the rear up good as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Snowhite
33's should be fine but it's a matter of the offset of your wheels, because most of the time the tire is too wide (12.50 wide) and it will rub the suspension components. When flexing too much off road could cause the tread to rub up in the fender well. Depends on the tire though.
Cheapest way to fix that?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 AM

Cheapest way to fix that?
Well although a lot of people will disagree, I would suggests getting wheel adapters. Reason being is I wanted to keep my factory wheels but get 35's. But I also had to lift my truck just enough to squeeze my tires in comfortably, as noted before my tires rub but only when flexing ... I also have bigger tires then what you are looking for, so an add a leaf and 2" wheel adapters should be fine. But it all depends on the tire like for instance mine are Nitto mud grapplers 12.50 wide. So I went with 2" wheel spacers. Iv been super hard on them too, off road and on road iv traveled very far with them and no issues, just make sure to torque them to spec and after about 100 miles re torque and make sure they are all snug again. "Bora wheel adapters". They are probably the most expensive but you always get what you pay for.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowhite
Well although a lot of people will disagree, I would suggests getting wheel adapters. Reason being is I wanted to keep my factory wheels but get 35's. But I also had to lift my truck just enough to squeeze my tires in comfortably, as noted before my tires rub but only when flexing ... I also have bigger tires then what you are looking for, so an add a leaf and 2" wheel adapters should be fine. But it all depends on the tire like for instance mine are Nitto mud grapplers 12.50 wide. So I went with 2" wheel spacers. Iv been super hard on them too, off road and on road iv traveled very far with them and no issues, just make sure to torque them to spec and after about 100 miles re torque and make sure they are all snug again. "Bora wheel adapters". They are probably the most expensive but you always get what you pay for.

i think snowhite might be slightly unique here... most people that want to keep their factory wheels is because they are OK with the look of their factory wheels and new wheels are adding a lot when you couple that with new bigger tires... with quality spacers, you're looking at $300 a set (and i would in no case go with cheap ones for any reason) so for that, maybe $100 more you can get rims with the proper offset.

I'm not knocking snowhite for running spacers even though i don't like them (even when they are quality) but you really aren't saving much money if any
Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't like aftermarket wheels. I kept my stock wheels and ran 35's with no problems and minimal rub. I picked up good wheelspacers off a buddy to gain about half an inch and that was all I needed.

I had 315/75/16's which are a 35 and about a 12.50 wide on my truck with a 2.5 inch level. If I did it all over again though I would have ran a proper suspension lift. Levels are too hard on the front ends for me. For some reason they look small in the picture but I had no problems with them. They were a 35
Name:  IMG_1303_zps00909fdc.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  144.0 KB

Quick Reply: Truck leveling help