Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Torsen LSD vs Locker - Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default FRONT - Torsen LSD vs Locker - Pros/Cons

I've seen a few threads where a Gen1 Raptor Torsen has been swapped into the front diff.

I've also seen places like stage3motorsports selling an Eaton elocker for the front.

I have a '15 Platinum eco that I would like either the Torsen or elocker swapped into the front. I only put about 6k miles a year on the truck and often drive in deep sand. I may never need either, but I like the idea of having them there in case I do ever need it and I HATE getting stuck.

My understanding with the Torsen is that it's fairly streetable and locks as soon as slip is detected, but the downfall is that if one wheel has zero traction, the other wheel won't lock.

With the elocker, if I'm understanding correctly, it's a little harder on the axles, but if you drive responsibly, you should be fine.

Any other opinions? Knowledge on maintenance? Preferences?

Thanks

Last edited by BigNinja1197; 01-24-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The TorSen isn't actually a LSD; it's a torque-biasing diff. Where an LSD is always "on" to some degree, and can get tighter without ever locking, and wears out with miles; a torque-biasing diff is "off" (open) until it detects a torque imbalance. Then it progressively applies just enough bias to keep both wheels turning (also never really "locking"), eventually going back to "off" when not needed. TorSen's mfr. says it doesn't wear.

The E-locker is a selectable diff that can be forced to full-lockup via an electromagnetic mechanism (like the A/C compressor), but normally functions as an open diff.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless you plan to be rock crawling and lifting a front tire, I would go with the Torsen. I have Trutracs front and rear in my Jeep which, from what I understand are similar to the Torsen, and it does very well. The only time I've wished I had true lockers instead were crawling up the rocks.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Yep, get the Torsen, for 99% of uses its the better choice and completely automatic. With an e-lock you have to get out of the power to engage it, and they bind up if left on. I'm wanting to put a Raptor /Torsen in the front of my '13 and ditch the factory e-lock in the rear in favor of a Truetrac.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The TrueTrac is another torque-biasing diff, although built VERY differently from the TorSen. If I was going to swap both diffs, I'd pick ONE kind, and put it in both axles. It might make maintenance & repairs easier.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

A locker and a limited slip are pretty different in their uses. In my opinion a limited slip is useful in a "wider variety" of situations from everyday street use (rain, snow) and LIGHT off-roading., it's not something you have to think about turning on or off as it's always there for you ready to do its thing.

That said, for more aggressive or hardcore off-roading, a limited slip is not nearly as useful as a locker. The locker you would only turn on in very specific off-road situations (never use it on dry pavement or even in the rain). 90% of the time, an axle with a locker is just an open diff.

I'd think about which general category you fall in... Do you want something that's always there and useful for a wider variety of situations, but won't necessarily get you out of a jam? Or do you want something that is only used occasionally, but is much more capable of getting you out of jam.

There's no right or wrong answer... just what's best for your situation. I do aggressive off-roading in deep mud, so a locker is a must for me.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

True Track and Torsen are actually rather similar in design (the TT is a somewhat simplified version ) and nearly identical in operation. Also there is no TT available for the front.

Last edited by PerryB; 01-18-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Next question. I've heard that the F150's traction control system for the is fairly sophisticated and functions to a fairly well.

Will there be a noticeable difference between the Torsen and stock utilizing TC?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

The traction control system is great, and aims to provide a similar function as the LSD (making sure that the wheel with better traction gets torque).

Is your main focus on the sand? I'm wondering if you do better investing in a good air compressor (if you don't already have one) so that you can air down the tires for sand, and air up when you're done. From everything I see on the subject, airing down your tires in sand is the best way to avoid getting stuck.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Yes, mainly sand, but I have access to a compressor so airing down and back up is not an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (01-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Torsen LSD vs Locker - Pros/Cons