Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Tire size and level for F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Tire size and level for F-150?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and had a couple of questions regarding tires/leveling kits ect. So first things first, I currently have a 2013 F-150 STX with the 3.7L V6 (no hate). I'm about to graduate high school and my grad present from my dad is a new set of tires. I live near some pretty cool trails and ever since I got my truck I'd wanted cool off-road tires but could never manage the self discipline to save up. So now I am in the market for tires but want to keep my stock rims because they look pretty cool and I don't have the money to save up for new rims . I believe the stock rims are 18x7.5" and they are the alloy 6 spokes. With new off-road tires I figured I'd need a leveling/lift kit too to give a more aggressive stance and fit a bigger tire in front. So my questions are, what is the biggest size tire I can fit with a 2-2.5" level without any major rubbing (I will be using them off-road too so I don't want to be constantly hitting the wheel well)? And what kind of level should I get? I've heard negative things about spacer levels but they seem to be pretty cheap, and a friend of mine has a 4" spindle lift so I don't know what type of lift is best for my truck for what I'd be using it for. And last, if I wanted to keep my OEM rims, would I need any offset to accommodate the larger tires? Ideally 35" tires would be awesome but from the pics of seen of other peoples' I would bottom out over every bump in the trails... I called Outlaw Off-road and they kinda treated me like dirt and basically just told me to buy a $2000 4" lift kit. I asked them how much of a lift I would need to accommodate 35"s and they told me at least a 4.5" lift, but I've heard differently from everyone. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah my stock tires right now are Michelin LTX A/S P265/60R18 and they look tiny as hell
Attached Thumbnails Tire size and level for F-150?-image.jpeg  
Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

You will get a better response in the 09-14 thread. There is also a sticky at the top of that thread, that will answer most of your questions, don't forget to open the PDF located therein.

With that being said, welcome to the site!

Few things to help us, help you. If you are on PC, please place you truck info in your signature, it helps greatly.

Year, Engine, Gear Ratio, 4x4 or 4x2, Cab Configuration (optional) - the answer to your question will be easier to answer if we know what drive you have, I am assuming 4x2 but Ford did make some 3.7L 4x4s, mostly single cabs though.

You could easily fit 275/70-18s (about 33.2") on those stock wheels, that is a very popular size.

As long as you don't run bigger than a 2.5" level you will not hurt anything up front just wear your ball joints a little faster. (can be had between 100-250 depending on brand and design)
A lift spindle just pushes the spindle down further, and is applicable only to 4x2 vehicles. It will keep all of the front end geometry stock(some are costly though), then all you would need is to lift the rear end.

Just be aware, adding more and a larger size tire will bog you down, more so than most of us with the bigger engines.

You may also want to look at a tuner, so you can program the new size and keep your odometer and speedometer accurate, as well your shift points, you can also squeeze a little extra ummph out of that 3.7 as well.

Originally Posted by RideTheLightning
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and had a couple of questions regarding tires/leveling kits ect. So first things first, I currently have a 2013 F-150 STX with the 3.7L V6 (no hate). I'm about to graduate high school and my grad present from my dad is a new set of tires. I live near some pretty cool trails and ever since I got my truck I'd wanted cool off-road tires but could never manage the self discipline to save up. So now I am in the market for tires but want to keep my stock rims because they look pretty cool and I don't have the money to save up for new rims . I believe the stock rims are 18x7.5" and they are the alloy 6 spokes. With new off-road tires I figured I'd need a leveling/lift kit too to give a more aggressive stance and fit a bigger tire in front. So my questions are, what is the biggest size tire I can fit with a 2-2.5" level without any major rubbing (I will be using them off-road too so I don't want to be constantly hitting the wheel well)? And what kind of level should I get? I've heard negative things about spacer levels but they seem to be pretty cheap, and a friend of mine has a 4" spindle lift so I don't know what type of lift is best for my truck for what I'd be using it for. And last, if I wanted to keep my OEM rims, would I need any offset to accommodate the larger tires? Ideally 35" tires would be awesome but from the pics of seen of other peoples' I would bottom out over every bump in the trails... I called Outlaw Off-road and they kinda treated me like dirt and basically just told me to buy a $2000 4" lift kit. I asked them how much of a lift I would need to accommodate 35"s and they told me at least a 4.5" lift, but I've heard differently from everyone. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah my stock tires right now are Michelin LTX A/S P265/60R18 and they look tiny as hell

Last edited by RajunKajun59; 06-14-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't do any more than 33" tires especially if you actually plan to offroad.

2WD or 4WD? your options are different between the two for lift types
Old 06-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by berty
Yeah I wouldn't do any more than 33" tires especially if you actually plan to offroad.

2WD or 4WD? your options are different between the two for lift types
It's 2WD, sorry for not stating that
Old 06-14-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by RajunKajun59
You will get a better response in the 09-14 thread. There is also a sticky at the top of that thread, that will answer most of your questions, don't forget to open the PDF located therein.

With that being said, welcome to the site!

Few things to help us, help you. If you are on PC, please place you truck info in your signature, it helps greatly.

Year, Engine, Gear Ratio, 4x4 or 4x2, Cab Configuration (optional) - the answer to your question will be easier to answer if we know what drive you have, I am assuming 4x2 but Ford did make some 3.7L 4x4s, mostly single cabs though.

You could easily fit 275/70-18s (about 33.2") on those stock wheels, that is a very popular size.

As long as you don't run bigger than a 2.5" level you will not hurt anything up front just wear your ball joints a little faster. (can be had between 100-250 depending on brand and design)
A lift spindle just pushes the spindle down further, and is applicable only to 4x2 vehicles. It will keep all of the front end geometry stock(some are costly though), then all you would need is to lift the rear end.

Just be aware, adding more and a larger size tire will bog you down, more so than most of us with the bigger engines.

You may also want to look at a tuner, so you can program the new size and keep your odometer and speedometer accurate, as well your shift points, you can also squeeze a little extra ummph out of that 3.7 as well.
Yeah my truck is a 3.7L 4x2 sorry about that. Thank you for all the info!
The following users liked this post:
RajunKajun59 (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Oh I was thinking for a lift but just reread you are looking for just a level. I'd say go with some coilovers like Fox or Boss. I personally plan on replacing my spacers with the Boss coilovers.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Lift Spindles

These guys have great reviews, and even run their products in the Baja 500, on their race, pre-runners, and chase vehicles. They are pricey though.
https://www.bajakits.com/product/09-...-lift-spindle/
https://www.f150forum.com/f37/baja-k...up-buy-215109/

These guys also make a decent product from what I have read, and this their 4.5" front 2" rear spindle lift with bilstein rear shocks. You will need to find a dealer, I believe real truck and a few others carry them. They also have just the spindles so you can lift the back the way you want as well, I recommend an add-a-leaf kit.
http://www.maxtracsuspension.com/max...hocks-649.html

Both those should clear upto 35" tires, and accommodate the factory rims, but you may need a spacer like bora I am not sure, Baja could answer the question on their Kit, they do have a very active presence on these forums.

The only issue, being blunt I do not know how the 3.7 handles bigger tires, you would most likely need a re-gear at 35", and would need a tuner to help get you a little more ummph as well.

Quick Reply: Tire size and level for F-150?