Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Tire comparisons - any input on these three?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Tire comparisons - any input on these three?

Just ordered my suspension lift for my '18, and I'm in the process of selecting tires and wheels. I know I'm going with an 18" tire and wheel combo, and I've narrowed it down to these three tires:
- Nitto Ridge Grappler
- Toyo Open Country A/T II
- BFG All Terrain TA KO2

They all seem to be in the same price range, and each will serve my needs well. My question is tread life expectancy. Years ago, I built several trucks with BFGs and they seemed to last a long time. They ride a little hard, but nothing like more aggressive Swampers and others, so that's not a huge concern for me. In terms of tread life, are these newer versions the same?

How do the BFGs stack up against the Nittos and Toyos?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

After seeing the Toyo AT2's on both a half ton and 3/4 ton truck, wear funny, chunk, get stuck in wet grass and howl louder than a set of nitto mud grapplers i will never consider them. Would replace with the terra grappler if you are wanting a similar tread pattern.
The following users liked this post:
Wanna Ride (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

Why not consider the Toyo RT's? They would be more of a fair comparison to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
I've had mine for 8 months (9k miles) and love them. They're pretty quiet, aggressive looking, and I can't say much on wear just yet besides that mine still look basically new)
Wanna Ride (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by zimmer0
After seeing the Toyo AT2's on both a half ton and 3/4 ton truck, wear funny, chunk, get stuck in wet grass and howl louder than a set of nitto mud grapplers i will never consider them. Would replace with the terra grappler if you are wanting a similar tread pattern.
Thanks for the input. I was already leaning away from the Toyos and towards the BFGs, and this sounds like a good reason. I've driven a '16 F150 with a 6" kit and the BFGs for a couple hundred miles, and didn't notice any reason to not go in that direction.

Anyone else got input on the Nittos or the BFGs?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ecks
Why not consider the Toyo RT's? They would be more of a fair comparison to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
I've had mine for 8 months (9k miles) and love them. They're pretty quiet, aggressive looking, and I can't say much on wear just yet besides that mine still look basically new)
Good question... one that I really can't answer other than there's just something about the appearance that I don't care for. Everything I've read about them, seems to be pretty good though.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

I've got the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 37" x 18 and I love them. They're the best tire I've ever owned for my needs. I've also owned the BFG's and they are excellent tires. The reason I prefer the Nitto's is because as others have mentioned, they're in a different category (hybrid) and are more aggressive for off-roading than the BFG all-terrains. If you don't off-road too much you'll be served well with either choice.

The Nitto's definitely look more aggressive, so if appearance is a factor, I would lean in that direction.

I think I have about 10K miles on them, they seem to be wearing fine, but again, I off-road a lot in harsh conditions so I don't pay all that much attention to wear since I know that what I put them through is different than a purely highway truck.

Photos below to get a visual:

JerseyGray (06-17-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I've owned the Toyo AT2's and the BFG KO2's... out of those two, the BFG's are the better tire in my opinion. The BFG's were a great tire. They worked well in the rain and snow and I never had any complaints about them.

The Toyo's were a bad tire all the way around. They slipped easily on wet pavement and just generally didn't work very well on any terrain. The on road handling got worse as the tires wore. I replaced them with a set of the Cooper Discoverer ATP's which were a much better all terrain tire. The Coopers handled very well on road and worked well for the light off roading I used them for. I think the issue with the Toyo's has something to do with the rubber compound. I was complaining to a coworker about the Toyos slipping in the rain and he said he liked his Coopers and they didn't have any issues with slipping. I went to the parking lot and ran my finger across the tread on the Toyo's and the rubber felt hard and slippery... when I did the same thing on the Coopers, the rubber felt softer and stickier. I couldn't get my finger to slide across the Coopers like I could on the Toyos. I bought the Coopers later that week and never regretted it. If I remember right, the Coppers had the same tread life warranty as the Toyos too.

Now I'm running a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W's (because the Coopers didn't come in the size I wanted for my new truck) and I'd say they are my new favorite tire. They handle well on road and have been fine for the light off roading my truck has seen. I have 21k miles on my Falkens and they still look new to me.
13KR (08-14-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Proud Southerner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a set of Iron man all country MTs on my truck, and have been well pleased so far! I have about 30,000 on them and still have plenty of tread left. You can see a little of the tread here.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 PM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

For the money Coopers are never a bad choice. I have 50K on a set and could get another 10K and still be legal. But I'll replace them in October or November before winter snow or driving in mud during hunting season.

I'm debating between going back to Cooper, or for about the same money maybe the Falkens. I've heard so many good things about them that I'll have to consider them. The KO2's will have to be an option too, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself they are $200/set better than Cooper or Falken. Many tire companies offer rebates at times, I got a $70 rebate on the Coopers currently on my truck. I'll probably let price decide for me in a few months.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 AM

Nice looking truck!

Originally Posted by Florida_F150

Quick Reply: Tire comparisons - any input on these three?