Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Thoughts on coil overs for 4" lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts
Default Thoughts on coil overs for 4" lift

Hey all. I have a 2014 4wd f150 that is getting a 4" lift (BDS ~$1900 or Zone ~$1300 depending on final pricing) put on it around late November/December. I am trying to decide what coil over option I want to go with. Here are my options (ranked in order that I am thinking about them right now)

1) Fox/BDS 2.5 coil overs with DSC for 4" lifts ~$2000
2) Fox/BDS 2.5 coil overs for 4" lifts ~$1500
3) Boss Coil overs set to minimum height and use lift spacer ~$800
4) Fox 2.0 Coil overs set to minimum height and use lift spacer ~$800
5) Bilstein 5100s set to factory height and use lift spacer ~300

I don't off road the truck a bunch right now just because it is at stock height/suspension and I have a Polaris RZR that I do more extreme stuff with. I live in Arizona and a lot of the camping spots that I go to have very rough roads and I would like something that handles the bumps a lot better. I would also like to leave the rzr at home occasionally for longer trips and just use the truck. It is my DD right now but, hopefully, in a few years it will turn into a more dedicated overlander.

I like the 2.5 options and the ones made for 4" lifts. Plus since it will be around Black Friday time (when I actually have the money saved), I will hopefully be able to save some $$ on this setup. Is the DSC worth it or should I save the $400 and just take the normal non DSC and get custom valving. I would ultimately have the DSC custom re-valved once they need to be rebuilt if I go that route. What option would you choose and why?

Also seeing as my truck has 90,000 miles on it, is the BDS lift worth the extra $600 compared to the zone? I won't be jumping my truck or desert racing it so I am not really concerned with something breaking.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 07-29-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Fox 2.5 non-DSC is awesome. The suspension is incredible both on and off road. I personally can't see any reason why most people would need DSC. I off-road mine all the time, and love the setup.

Unrelated to the shocks, is your signature accurate as far as wheel size? Just asking, different strokes for different folks, not being argumentative or anything, but just throwing 2 cents out there, the signature is showing 20" wheels. Your post seems to show that your interested in ride quality and potential off-road-ability. In my opinion, far more important than the difference between DSC and non-DSC, or even other suspension upgrades, is your wheel and tire size. If you want off-road ability and handling bumps better you'd need to swap out the 20" wheels for 18" and go with slightly larger tires. There's a massive difference in off-road comfort between those wheel sizes. 295/55/20's is a 32" tire with a fairly low profile. If you went to 35" tires on 18" wheels it will give you so much more comfort than some of the suspension options. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Florida_F150; 07-29-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Fox 2.5 non-DSC is awesome. The suspension is incredible both on and off road. I personally can't see any reason why most people would need DSC. I off-road mine all the time, and love the setup.
Ya, I am hesitant because I have a custom setup double clicker on my ninja and on the rzr I have customized valving and adjustability and once I got it setup, I haven't changed either of them. And I run my rzr hard.

But on the other hand I didn't have to play with the valving multiple times to get it there. Just got the valving close and the adjusters got it perfect.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 07-29-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl

Ya, I am hesitant because I have a custom setup double clicker on my ninja and on the rzr I have customized valving and adjustability and once I got it setup, I haven't changed either of them. And I run my rzr hard.

But on the other hand I didn't have to play with the valving multiple times to get it there. Just got the valving close and the adjusters got it perfect.
Gotcha. Just updated my previous post with a mention of wheel sizes. I was slow to edit haha. Lemme know your thoughts on what I re-wrote above.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Gotcha. Just updated my previous post with a mention of wheel sizes. I was slow to edit haha. Lemme know your thoughts on what I re-wrote above.
Ya, the tire/wheel combination will eventually change too. The tires only have like 15,000 miles on them right now so it will be a little bit of time before that happens. I was planning on an 18" wheel with a bigger sidewall tire. I just got the dealership to put the biggest tire size I thought I could fit on a stick truck before purchase.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:00 PM

Cool. Either of the Fox 2.5 options (DSC or non-DSC) will serve you well. I do very aggressive off-roading all the time, and the setup is amazing.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Rough Country makes a great lift kit and much cheaper than those others. It's what I run on my truck and have no complaints. Use what ever shocks you like.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Rough Country makes a great lift kit and much cheaper than those others. It's what I run on my truck and have no complaints. Use what ever shocks you like.
The rough country is about $1100 and I thought about that but the shop I talked to said if you are gonna be doing some semi aggressive off roading to stay away as their kit tends to come back for some broken parts more often than the others. They are normally covered by warranty but I'd rather not hassle with it for $200 on the Zone lift which is basically BDS without the warranty and final finish. Really don't see the BDS being worth it unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 07-30-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on coil overs for 4" lift