Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Stock tires (wrangler sr-a) on forestry roads?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Stock tires (wrangler sr-a) on forestry roads?

The powerline road I drive down to my claim.
So I have been told that the stock tires they put on the trucks are absolute crap on anything other than dry pavement. When i drove the truck home i drove home in wet snowy conditions and they seemed alright... Now I do have a quality set of dedicated winters (hankook i*pike), I just didn't get the dealer to put them on the new truck because its almost April and we are getting 16 degrees already...saves me the wear on them. I have a 2019 F150 xlt with stock wrangler sr-a currently.
I had Cooper discoverer at2's on my 2014 which came on it when I got it used with about 70% tread...they lasted fine right up till i traded it in. I think I did get 2 punctures in the time I had them on. They worked fine for the bush driving I do.

Now all the negative talk on the wrangler sr-a has me a little paranoid. Some people say they are decent and others say they are absolute crap. I drive a fair bit of forestry roads here in BC, i don't really go "off-road" like people in jeeps do (I have a dual sport for that stuff). But I do have mining claims, one of the roads up to one of my claims is a tad rough (lots of fist sized rocks) but really not that bad I go up in 4-low, and the other I take a steep powerline road 200m down to it in 4-low (hard compact glacial till) and back up, sometimes I cross through the creek and go up the other side. The dicoverer at2 never gave me any grief at all, I take it really easy and crawl up/down, always had fine traction.

Will these stock wrangler sr-a get me into trouble? or should I be ok for the stuff I do? How do they compare to a discoverer at2, seeing as they are both M+S?. If i can expect a somewhat similar experience then I think ill be alright...for now. They have a lot more tread (almost 2x more) than my discoverer at2's had. I don't tow, I only haul 2-3 dual sport bikes at most (usually just 2 in the box, but sometimes a 3rd on a hitch carrier) which weigh 300lbs each.

Last edited by scar420; 03-18-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

I wouldn't replace them until they wear out, or start giving you problems. But I'd put an E rated tire on when it comes time to replace them. I think that most of the time you'll be OK, but a heavier duty tire doesn't hurt. I just have a hard time taking perfectly good tires off until I have gotten my moneys worth out of them.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 643 Likes on 269 Posts

On my 18 I replaced the factory Michelin's after less than 3K miles with Toyo AT II's. Sold the Michelin's on Facebook of all places, and got $450 for them. New at Discount they are $175 each, so did pretty good IMO. The 4 Toyo's are LT rated, and were about $975 for the 4
Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I had my stock SR-A tires replaced at 7500 miles. Two had hard spots in them that would not balance out via road-force balance and regular balancing. Ford would not do anything about them so I just bit the bullet and put Nitto TerraGrappler G2 E rated. Could not be happier with them. Much better traction, don't have to worry about punctures as much(go into corn fields and level b roads frequently here in the Midwest). They are heavier and did reduce mileage by about 2 MPG, but piece of mind is worth it. And a huge plus.....that particular tire is made in the USA. I put the G2's on my wife's 4runner when new and they are made in Japan. They are wearing fantastic on both my truck and her 4Runner as well. Have 52k on them on the 4Runner and will likely get 65K out of them, my truck is at 35k and can definitely get 60k out of them. So that's a huge plus as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by sbronemann:
GoodVibes (05-23-2019), NotSoSpeedy-G (04-10-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Puntures are my main concern, I'll run them for a bit ar hope it goes and then get some new ones through my work eventually. I can get a set of cooper discoverer x/t4's for about 650 Canadian from distributor, severe weather rated too so i can run em year round here. Then sell both my current sets.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated the Wranglers on my Canyon the sidewalls were like paper and 2 got shredded by lava rocks here. One was an instant flat, one I made it home just barely then kapoof. Not fun, cha ching we call it the Pele Tax. So that ended going off road in that truck until can upgrade.

On the F150 I just put E-rated Ridge Grapplers and have been very happy with them! No worries at all even aired way down to get out of a tight spot. No cuts or tears or chips or anything. The peace of mind alone is worth it when way out there. Running 40 psi on the streets ride is acceptable might try another 5 psi up.
The following users liked this post:
GoodVibes (05-23-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbronemann
I had my stock SR-A tires replaced at 7500 miles. Two had hard spots in them that would not balance out via road-force balance and regular balancing. Ford would not do anything about them so I just bit the bullet and put Nitto TerraGrappler G2 E rated. Could not be happier with them. Much better traction, don't have to worry about punctures as much(go into corn fields and level b roads frequently here in the Midwest). They are heavier and did reduce mileage by about 2 MPG, but piece of mind is worth it. And a huge plus.....that particular tire is made in the USA. I put the G2's on my wife's 4runner when new and they are made in Japan. They are wearing fantastic on both my truck and her 4Runner as well. Have 52k on them on the 4Runner and will likely get 65K out of them, my truck is at 35k and can definitely get 60k out of them. So that's a huge plus as well.
Had Terra Grapplers on my old WK Grand Cherokee and was good tire for light trail use, mud not so much haha. One got a lava rock slice almost completely around the sidewall but never went flat! I liked them so much I swapped them out to another truck just to keep them. Nitto makes great tires. That said I really like BFG KM2s too but different kind of tire.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NotSoSpeedy-G
Had Terra Grapplers on my old WK Grand Cherokee and was good tire for light trail use, mud not so much haha. One got a lava rock slice almost completely around the sidewall but never went flat! I liked them so much I swapped them out to another truck just to keep them. Nitto makes great tires. That said I really like BFG KM2s too but different kind of tire.
I haven't had any problem in mud and level b roads. I think they do pretty well in the mud. Love them and will definitely buy another set when these wear out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock tires (wrangler sr-a) on forestry roads?