Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Spartan locker

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spartan locker

I am looking for a rear differential locker for my 98 F150. 4.6, 4x4, single cab 5 speed. I think I found one but I don't know for sure if it's what I'm looking for. I'd like one that has a lever/**** but I also don't want to break the bank. This is the best I've found so far.

http://completeoffroad.com/i-6912945...FdMvgQoddOENsw
Old 02-06-2017, 03:05 PM

I am looking for something similar to an ox locker but I really do not want to spend $800 on it.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Sounds like you want a selectable locker (one that you can turn on and off). If so, the Spartan is not what you are looking for. The Spartan locker is often called a "lunchbox locker". Lunchbox lockers replace the spider gears, so you can leave the gears alone and install it yourself. The downside is they are full time lockers (similar to a Detroit Locker) but are not a strong as a full case locker. I have never used one in the rear, but supposedly they also make noise than a full case and jerk/grab a little. Also, they usually only work with an open carrier, so if you have a limited slip, a lunchbox probably won't work. Other lunchbox lockers are Aussie locker, Lokka, Lock-rite, and Detroit EZ locker.

If you want a selectable locker, you're looking at $800-$1000 (or more) for the locker, plus a couple hundred for the install. Depending on the locker, the price may or may not include the activation device. They are activated by cable, air, or electricity. When I was looking at Ox lockers a few years ago, the price didn't include the cable assembly. ARB air locker is highly regarded among the Jeep crowd. They operate by air and require a compressor and switches to operate (sold separately). Yukon Zip lockers are also air actuated, but I haven't talked to anyone who runs them. Auburn and Eaton both make electric lockers. They both had some issues when they first came out, but I haven't heard anything about them lately.

If you want something stronger than the lunchbox locker, but cheaper than a selectable, then you can look into a full case locker like a Detroit Locker or Yukon Grizzly locker. They are usually several hundred cheaper than a selectable, plus you don't have to buy the activation system. You will, however, have to a few hundred for the install.
The following users liked this post:
Zachary Gibbs (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

You're probably not going to like driving it on the street, or most any hard surface. It'll whir and chatter around corners at lower throttle inputs, and then lock with a bang when you step on the gas. I'd recommend either you get a True-Trak, or one of the selectable lockers. Buy once, cry once, as the old saying goes. As the selectables go, if you're interested in having an on-board air system, the ARB dovetails into that nicely. Otherwise I'd probably go with the Eaton E-lock. My personal opinion of Yukon products isn't great.

Last edited by PerryB; 02-07-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 AM

hi guys,

I have a 97 F150 that runs on LSD, but I want to replace it with a spartan locker...

What shall be my 1st step on replacing it?

thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ranic
hi guys,

I have a 97 F150 that runs on LSD, but I want to replace it with a spartan locker...

What shall be my 1st step on replacing it?

thanks
Assuming your LS is the factory Track Lock, the first step would be to identify your axle. The rear is probably an 8.8" with 31 spline shafts, but I'm not sure if there were others were used in 97. Second, contact Spartan directly and find out if their locker will fit the TL carrier, or if they have one that will fit. Most of the lunchbox lockers will only fit an open carrier, but I have heard of a few that will fit factory LS carriers. There are several other lunchbox lockers on the market (Powertrax, Aussie off the top of my head). If Spartan doesn't make one to fit, check other manufacturers. If you can get one to fit your LS carrier, the install is pretty straight forward and definitely a possible DIY project since you don't have to mess with the gears.

edit: East Coast Gear Supply (http://eastcoastgearsupply.com) should be pretty familiar with the 8.8 and might can help you out. They also sell used carriers when they have them.

If no one makes a lunchbox that will drop into your LS carrier, you'll need an open carrier, and that will greatly increase the install procedure and cost.

Last edited by jp360cj; 06-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Assuming your LS is the factory Track Lock, the first step would be to identify your axle. The rear is probably an 8.8" with 31 spline shafts, but I'm not sure if there were others were used in 97. Second, contact Spartan directly and find out if their locker will fit the TL carrier, or if they have one that will fit. Most of the lunchbox lockers will only fit an open carrier, but I have heard of a few that will fit factory LS carriers. There are several other lunchbox lockers on the market (Powertrax, Aussie off the top of my head). If Spartan doesn't make one to fit, check other manufacturers. If you can get one to fit your LS carrier, the install is pretty straight forward and definitely a possible DIY project since you don't have to mess with the gears.

edit: East Coast Gear Supply (http://eastcoastgearsupply.com) should be pretty familiar with the 8.8 and might can help you out. They also sell used carriers when they have them.

If no one makes a lunchbox that will drop into your LS carrier, you'll need an open carrier, and that will greatly increase the install procedure and cost.
HI unfortunately I arleady bought the lockers and later find out that it does not fit the traclock carriers..

where do you think I can get open diff carriers for 8.8?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 AM

You can call ECGS (link in my previous post) and see if they have any. Or if you have a local shop that does gear installs, check with them. Or Craigslist/eBay. Should be able to find one that someone swapped out for a LS/locker.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ranic
HI unfortunately I arleady bought the lockers and later find out that it does not fit the traclock carriers..

where do you think I can get open diff carriers for 8.8?
Since you are going to have to buy a new carrier and worry about shimming it to get the right backlash I would save a little bit more money until I could go with a Detroit if it was me. I would try to sell the spartan unless you you want to stick with what you bought.