Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

The spare is not the same tire and wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default The spare is not the same tire and wheel???

Was under the truck installing the Bilsteins and saw that my ‘full size spare’ is a 255/70 - 18 Wrangler ST on what looks like an aluminum rim.

Whats going on there? My wheel and tire option is a 275/55 -20 AT Hankook. So if I need to put that wheel on it’s not gonna match. I know it’s supposed to be the spare, but 4WD and ABS is going to be all messed up with a different tire and wheel size.

Is this normal ??
Old 06-19-2019, 07:54 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

They are practically the same outside diameter. That's all that matters for a spare.

Different brands and models may have slightly different measurements but the example I just pulled up on Tire Rack shows a 255/70-18 at 647 revolutions per mile. Your 275/55-20 shows 651 revolutions per mile. Not enough difference to matter for a spare tire. Your ABS and limited slip differentials won't know the difference.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by comanchepilot
Was under the truck installing the Bilsteins and saw that my ‘full size spare’ is a 255/70 - 18 Wrangler ST on what looks like an aluminum rim.

Whats going on there? My wheel and tire option is a 275/55 -20 AT Hankook. So if I need to put that wheel on it’s not gonna match. I know it’s supposed to be the spare, but 4WD and ABS is going to be all messed up with a different tire and wheel size.

Is this normal ??
Yes, its very normal. No manufacturer is going to include a 5th matching wheel and tire in the production line and along the supply chain. Its a spare for a reason. Cars come with a "donut" for a reason and some manufacturers include a pump and patch kit.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:01 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Is this your first vehicle?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by yokev
Is this your first vehicle?
No. But my first new $50k pick-up truck. My other new vehicles hsd the same tire when I had s full size spare.

This way you can rotate them all.

You pay $1300 for a wheel and tire package I’m thinking they can give you a 5th wheel and tire. After all. You paid for the stock wheels as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

You millenials are all the same lol.

A spare on a car is usually 75% of the same height on some crap narrow tire that isn't safe over 35 MPH.

You get a full size pickup, and the spare is exactly the same diameter, heck if it was the same size tire/rim, a new tread tire is gonna be a different diameter than your half worn out one anyways......Sorry they put it on a cheaper steel wheel. But I guess Ford could charge $1500 for your wheel and tire package, so that all 5 match, and then 95% of owners won't even know what it looks like. But you'll be satisfied.

It's a spare, don't rotate it through the rotation, if you want 5 identical wheels, go buy another one on eBay. Heck I'm surprised your spare is an 18" even. Want to say the older ones are 17" rim spares. But 18" tires may be getting cheaper than the 17's they're replacing.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Is this normal ??
Yes, it’s normal, and the standard. Dodge and GM do the same.
It’s not an aluminum wheel, it’s the standard steel wheel that Ford uses for all of the F150 spare tires. Or at least it should be, unless someone at the dealership unlikely changed it. Did you buy this truck new? Every chassis gets the same basic spare as all the others, they may have a production run of using spare tire X, and next month it’s tire Y, but all trucks are created equal in this aspect. My truck came with 18” Michelins on the dual spoke, black/polished aluminum wheels (not sure what it’s actually called), and the spare is an 18” Goodyear. As long as the overal diameter is close, everything will be fine.

No. But my first new $50k pick-up truck. My other new vehicles hsd the same tire when I had s full size spare.

You pay $1300 for a wheel and tire package I’m thinking they can give you a 5th wheel and tire. After all. You paid for the stock wheels as well.
I’m assum8ng thoseother fehicles were cars?
Actually, you didn’t pay for the stock wheels. Youonly paid for the ones that were put on the truck. When someone buys the base model F150, they also pay for the steel wheels. And those are overpriced also.

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
You millenials are all the same lol.
From someone is not a milennial, that’s not cool. Likewise, a young person could also make a blanket statement, “you old geezers are all alike”, and that wouldn’t be cool either.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:32 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had a new Lariat in '07, a new FX2 in '13, and now a new XLT Sport. Both the FX and Sport stickered at nearly 50k, Lariat stickered at 36k. All had 18in steel wheels and a Goodyear tire.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Being called a millennial when I received a draft lottery number the last year they did it is amusing.

Geeze people. I’ve own Jeeps and old sports type cars that had full size spares.

Is everyone always so critical of every one else or is that just a pick up community thing ??
The following users liked this post:
PerryB (08-03-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Being called a millennial when I received a draft lottery number the last year they did it is amusing.

Geeze people. I’ve own Jeeps and old sports type cars that had full size spares.

Is everyone always so critical of every one else or is that just a pick up community thing ??
You have a full-size spare. Your tire diameter of your spare tire is the same as your stock tires... hence a full-size spare.

jeeps have spares on the back of the truck. It’s a cosmetic item as much as it is a spare for Jeeps. Ours are hidden.

It’s just because you asked a very rudimentary question, which is fine. Trucks usually come with a full size spare but not a matching pretty rim. That thing would get beat up under the truck anyways.
The following users liked this post:
F150since1997 (06-20-2019)

Quick Reply: The spare is not the same tire and wheel???