Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Roof racks& basket

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof racks& basket

Im new here guys& gal so pardon any annoying questions asked. This is my first F150. I have 13' FX4 Crew/5.0. I recently got leveled, dual exh, bull bar, wheels and tires on the way. I want to do a roof cargo basket of some kind. Something I can put the shovel, jack, spare wheel/tire and lights...i need some advice or suggestions on what how and what to get the project started. I don't wanna go the super expensive route. Just looking for ideas. Any help greatly appreciated. Love to see some pics too. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

http://www.instructables.com/id/No-W...uck-Roof-Rack/
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Where R U?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I don't understand why people want to put stuff on top of their trucks where it is up causing wind resistance and can be knocked off when they have a nice big bed in the back. None the less, prolineracks.com has good prices on racks and that kind of stuff.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by FrikinFordFreak
Im new here guys& gal so pardon any annoying questions asked. This is my first F150. I have 13' FX4 Crew/5.0. I recently got leveled, dual exh, bull bar, wheels and tires on the way. I want to do a roof cargo basket of some kind. Something I can put the shovel, jack, spare wheel/tire and lights...i need some advice or suggestions on what how and what to get the project started. I don't wanna go the super expensive route. Just looking for ideas. Any help greatly appreciated. Love to see some pics too. Thanks.
I just had one made, I am painting it right now. Where are you located?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by car54
I guess I don't understand why people want to put stuff on top of their trucks where it is up causing wind resistance and can be knocked off when they have a nice big bed in the back. None the less, prolineracks.com has good prices on racks and that kind of stuff.
How are you going to put lights in the bed? Did you even read his post?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sigma pi
This is the main reason I want a rack on my truck! It would be nice to get a little extra space where I can store some extra gear when the bed is being used. But mostly I would like a good way to add additional lighting up high for when I work on projects after dark.

I am tempted to buy the adapter that construction guys use to add yellow lights above the 3rd brake light. But for $300+ before lights, I am having a hard time justifying the cost. Also my truck only clears the garage door by maybe an inch. So once I do this I can no longer pull it inside to work on it. Not the end of the world, but I am waiting until I find exactly what I want before I pull the trigger.
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoostJake
This is the main reason I want a rack on my truck! It would be nice to get a little extra space where I can store some extra gear when the bed is being used. But mostly I would like a good way to add additional lighting up high for when I work on projects after dark.

I am tempted to buy the adapter that construction guys use to add yellow lights above the 3rd brake light. But for $300+ before lights, I am having a hard time justifying the cost. Also my truck only clears the garage door by maybe an inch. So once I do this I can no longer pull it inside to work on it. Not the end of the world, but I am waiting until I find exactly what I want before I pull the trigger.
Ugh, I need to hop on my project, I think we are on the same page!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Where R U?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Yeah, I read it, which is why I suggested proline racks. Just offering an opinion.

One might also consider a Back Rack which sits just below the roof line of the cab. Protects the back window and one can mount all manner of lights, antennas and things on the top, sides and back of it. Shown on a chevy below

Name:  backrack_small1_zpsesrwdmo1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  21.0 KB

Last edited by car54; 05-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by car54
Yeah, I read it, which is why I suggested proline racks. Just offering an opinion.

One might also consider a Back Rack which sits just below the roof line of the cab. Protects the back window and one can mount all manner of lights, antennas and things on the top, sides and back of it. Shown on a chevy below

Good idea! Probably no wind noise compared to a basket.

Last edited by sigma pi; 05-20-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Roof racks& basket