Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Rear Axle Hop/Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Rear Axle Wrap

A friend has been warning me about an unwanted side-effect of suspension lifts. I'm told that as soon as we start increasing the separation between the leaf spring and the axle...there will be an increasing danger of wrapping under power. I have not seen too much in the forums about this issue. I'm told the problem can be eliminated by installing some sort of additional bar(s) In my recently-begun research, I have discovered that there are several possible solutions to the problem; single bars, ladder bars, traction bars, something called a "4-link" etc..

In this article: https://www.dieselarmy.com/news/trac...ent-axle-wrap/ I came across a nice picture of traction bars along with a 'here-is-what-could-happen-if-you-do-not-heed-this-advice' video. (!!)

Why is thee so little discussion of axle wrap in this forum? And with a non-supercharged truck - how much of an issue is it for weekend off-roading and spirited pavement driving?

Thanks!

Last edited by ronemca; 03-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:19 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

if you stay with a smaller block in the rear and not stack them you will not feel the effects as much .. all the above mentioned stuff is a band aid for not installing new leaf packs.. the proper way to raise the rear end. with new leaf springs to match your desired ride height, you will have no axle wrap.
The following users liked this post:
WarSurfer (03-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Add ladder bars and be done. It keeps my rear end planted on a 4" lift.

08drenalin (04-04-2023)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
the proper way to raise the rear end. with new leaf springs to match your desired ride height, you will have no axle wrap.
I agree - but why do new/replacement leaf springs *not* suffer from the same problem?
* * EDIT 190310 * *
(I appreciate people's patience - this is a work in progress as I teach myself this new trick )
I've learned that -- since replacement leaf springs can be ordered which will lift the rear end without spacer blocks -- they will also change the axle-to-leaf-centerline alignment...which is apparently how the axle wrap is eliminated. I don't claim to understand it CLEARLY, but I'm getting there. The new leafs are not inexpensive, but if they deliver what I believe they deliver (and I'm therefore not inserting tall blocks or anti--wrap bars) they sound like the optimal solution! Which has me wondering...

If replacement leafs are the "optimal" solution to rear end lifting vs. spacer blocks (which are the...inferior? shortcut? band-aid? cheap?) solution, then replacement half shafts should be the optimal front end lifting solution (over diff-dropping or strut spacers). Mister RVCPERFORMANCE assures me that his super duper half shafts are rated to perform at up to 30° of deflection. I can't imagine what degree of deflection a 4" non-diff-dropping front end lift would create...but I bet it's less than 30°.

There again not inexpensive, but....hmmm.

Last edited by ronemca; 03-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:17 PM

All trucks regardless if lifted or not will experience axle wrap under hard accel when the wheel(s) break loose. Just the nature of the beast with leaf springs. Lifting only amplifies it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
techrep (03-09-2019), WarSurfer (03-12-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 06:16 PM

* * Updated question * *

Alright - I've learned alot since my original post. I've burned up the Internet and spoken to some guys - mainly installers - and the consensus is this:

Traction/ladder bars are inferior to ONE anti- axle-wrap bar because the twin bars restrict the potential articulation of the vehicle (and its suspension).

This seems like a logical statement. I am not disagreeing with anyone about the efficacy of their twin bars, but I have started looking for a single, mounted-as-close-to-center-as-possible anti-wrap bar so that I can discuss the issue from an informed position.

And while I'm searching, can anyone offer some feedback on the single bar concept, please? Does anyone make one? Do any of my fellow members have one?

<tips hat>
Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ronemca
* * Updated question * *

Alright - I've learned alot since my original post. I've burned up the Internet and spoken to some guys - mainly installers - and the consensus is this:

Traction/ladder bars are inferior to ONE anti- axle-wrap bar because the twin bars restrict the potential articulation of the vehicle (and its suspension).
Only if your rock climbing with the truck, the ladders on my truck allow full suspension articulation only limited by the shocks themselves. Whomever told you other wise either don't know what they're talking about or use their trucks without shocks (or extended length) for the aforementioned rock climbing, severe trails and the like.

What you have to figure out is what type of driving will you be doing in order to obtain the best device(s) to meet your considerations. The ladder bars on my truck are perfect for the mall crawling city life she leads 95% of the time. I won't be doing any rock climbing or severe trails either.

They are far superior to any single bar setup for my use.
ronemca (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM

The vehicle will not be rock crawling or doing severe off-roading. And yes - I remember speaking about and agreeing with your rationale. But this other viewpoint was presented to me by an installer/fabricator, and it seemed reasonable.

However, I enjoy hearing a variety of opinions...which is why I raise points like this in the FORUM. For public discussion & debate.

And before I forget - look here for a laugh! I was thumbing through an offroad mag and I came across an ad for the latest & greatest in long-distance small-reflector lighting. I looked at the 50" light bar on the supplied website, and...WOW! I'm thinking I'll get a pair of them for sure!
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...Light-Bars.asp

Last edited by ronemca; 04-05-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ronemca
The vehicle will not be rock crawling or doing severe off-roading. And yes - I remember speaking about and agreeing with your rationale. But this other viewpoint was presented to me by an installer/fabricator, and it seemed reasonable.

However, I enjoy hearing a variety of opinions...which is why I raise points like this in the FORUM. For public discussion & debate.

And before I forget - look here for a laugh!
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...Light-Bars.asp
I've been a suspension expert for the better part of 36+ years. Fabricators make things to make money, installers install things to make money, I analyze broken or non functioning things to make money.

No need to even look at the link for the baja designs, I've seen some of the garbage they make and none of it will ever grace any truck I own EVER, that's all I have to say about them.
08drenalin (04-04-2023)
Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

This device, or simple system, helps to mitigate spring wrap:

Roadmaster Active Suspension - https://activesuspension.com/suspension-kits/

Last edited by Apples; 04-05-2019 at 08:44 PM.
ronemca (04-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Hop/Wrap