Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Project Survival Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Fords r us

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Project Survival Truck

I'm working on a plan to mod my truck to make it ready to get away from what's coming. Your knowledge, experience, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
joe garza

Project Survival Truck: How To Turn A Used F150 Into A Reliable, Low Maintenance, Getaway Transport To Survive The Coming Economic And Social Collapse.

The requirement is to be able to get away from a society and government gone wild with enough gear, food, etc. to survive the ensuing bloodbath.

And, of course, resources are not unlimited.

Fulfilling the requirement means some off road capability, some load carrying capability, extended range and some independence from a sustainment infrastructure. The vehicle has to be able to operate free of prepared road surfaces, with minimal recourse to a professional dealer and maintenance network, while carrying everything I need to drop off the grid for as long as possible.

In the best case, I have to be able to get a location less than two hundred miles away. In the worst case, I have to be able to move more than a thousand miles, and then return. This plan will focus on getting two hundred miles.

Requirement 1: Free Of Prepared Road Surfaces
1. Ground clearance – tires, lift, leveling, etc.
2. Suspension travel -
3. Traction – gearing, LS/Locker, etc.
4. body armor, skid plates, push bars, etc.

Requirement 2: Load Carrying Capability
1. OEM payload package & HD suspension
2. OEM ClIII Trailer hitch & trailer
3. Camper top
4. Cargo rack
5. Hoist

Requirement 3: Extended Range
1. Economy engine programming
2. Aux fuel tanks

Requirement 4: Reliability
1. Consumer reports ratings
2. Limit deviation from oem specs
3. OEM HD cooling & electrical
4. Reliability improving mods – synthetic oil, etc.

Requirement 5: Limited Resources
1. 2000 F150 <60K <$7850
2. CarMax reputation and warranty ($1449)
3. Used components – Shell @ $410, etc.

i would appreciate any advice, recommendations, etc. the people on this forum have lots more experience in this than i ever will; i'd rather not make my own mistakes if i can learn from someone else's experience. thanks, again, for your time.
joe
"Voting, employed, tax-paying, non-hyphenated naturalized american (i.e., documented immigrant), gun totin', papist veteran and charter member of the vast right-wing conspiracy. Anything else i can do to **** you off?"
Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd go with an f-250, personally. regular cab, long bed. cover for the bed, rack for the top. 4" lift, 35" M/T's and a TON of off road lights. Off road bumper with winch, rear bumper with back up lights. and the biggest extra gas tank you can buy.

that should do it. with food your truck would weigh a ton though. i'd go for a cooking oil conversion also. gasoline will be short.

and are you serious? jw because i cant really tell. lol
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I second the F250.. Diesel also..
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dodge, 4X4, 2500, 12valve Cummins with manual. Long bed reg cab. Just a couple inches of lift, if any, with 33s. Dont go too big or high, factory parts are easier to come by in a pinch than aftermarket ones and smaller spares (2 spares) take up less room and weigh less than massive tires. You want diesel so you can make your own fuel if need be and you get more miles out of a gallon. 2" recievers on front and back with an electric winch you can move to either end. Cab high cap on the bed with cargo basket on top. Full complement of skid plates underneath. At least one Detroit locker. A nice sized inverter and a dual battery setup. Obviously as many tools and spare parts as you can carry.
I know I didnt stick with requirement #5 but,.... right tool for the job.... A 3/4 ton diesel would make so much more sense.

If I were seriously looking to build a survival machine, I would consider starting with a surplus military pickup. You would get a low mile, well maintained 3/4 ton thats already camoed and would appear to be military to the casual observer from a distance, the only drawback would be that its automatic.

Last edited by ray h; 12-27-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Wow... This has to be one of the only threads of 2009 to make me go "WTF?"
Old 12-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
Wow... This has to be one of the only threads of 2009 to make me go "WTF?"
Weve still got a couple of days left, maybe there will be more.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Fords r us

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Very Serious

Yes, i'm very serious.
thanks, and keep it coming. this is why i posted on here.

jg

as to "wtf..." don't you read the papers? history is repeating itself.

military pickups - i came in when the dodges were going out, and i saw the chevy's come in... i'm ambivalent about them. first of all, where would i get a low mileage military chevy (CUCV)? the only one's i've ever seen available had a lot of miles on them...
i'm leery of chevys in general, though admittedly the CUCV's were very capable trucks. when i was young, i was a chevy man and i came from a chevy family... i've built a mudder chevy, and a desert chevy, and that's why i own a ford. i just don't trust GMC any more.
on the other hand, if you meant the hummer, well, just as soon as i win the lottery. the money constraint is real, and i have to do with what i have. i should have been more clear - the F150 in requirement # 5 is what i have. unless and until my finances take a dramatic turn for the better, that's what i'll be going with.

jg

Last edited by Joethefordguy; 12-27-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 PM

When I was in they had both Dodges and GMs. Our Dodges were old but they had relatively low miles when they were replaced by Hummers. I wasnt suggesting a Hummer for your needs, civilian parts cant be found and they are too wide for use on some forest roads.
I forgot to mention above, you would want a full compliment of communication gear (CB, HAM, scanner, TV, ect),
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 AM

I just checked out Ebay for the fun of it. I know you said no GMs but you can pick up an 84-86 CUCV with less than 50000 miles for $4000-$5000. Diesel, 1ton, rear locker, dual batteries, HD alt and cooling, camo. If you are patient you could probably find an ambulance that would be perfect to load up with whatever gear you would need. That would be my suggestion over using an F150.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[endthread]

Quick Reply: Project Survival Truck