Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Offroad Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:43 AM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Offroad Lights?

Anyone running offroad lights? Would love to see pics of what everyone is running and how they mounted it. I have a grille guard I scored off craigslist for $50. Scored a couple of Hella Rallye 1000s and a couple of 6 inch generics for $40 total. Mounted the Hellas on, but didn't have the legit Hella mounts so I had to make some basic ones work. Unfortunately they don't clamp down as tight on they so they're a little bouncey. I also originally want to mount them up higher on the grille guard but due to the mounts they were more stabil mounted on the tubes. Anyone know where I can score some Hella mounting brackets (the U shaped piece that bolts onto the light with the mounting bolt on the bottom) and light covers? 4x4 places around town seem to only have the covers for the 500s. I'm also thinking of moving there to the center and mounting the 6 inch one on the outside if I do decide to mount them. Kind of prerunner style.

o00o

​​​​​Anyone have some rear facing auxiliary lights mounted? I thought about getting the tow hitch light mounts and putting some leds on there to make it easier to back up or load trailers at night.

How they are mounted now.

I originally thought of mounting them in the cutouts on the grille guard but the mounts weren't as stabil and i thought they might be blocking airflow to the radiator since they're 7.3 inches tall each.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:47 AM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Also when aiming them, do you guys point them straight forward or a little off to the side? Anyone have a light beam pattern against the wall with headlights on to give me a rough idea of how to aim them? I know for driving lights at 25 feet the should be like just below the mounting height (correct me if I'm wrong).

I also got lucky with the install. I had what I thought was a dead switch on the dash by the headlight switch. Looking under the dash I found a pair of Hella relays connected to the switch, traced the wires in the engine bay and the had power running to the main fuse box with fuses inline. That made the install real easy, and it was a funny coincidence they were Hella relays. My truck has a commercial company being the lone previous owner and I will say the previous install seemed to have been done real professionally, not the typical backyard mechanic stuff you see from Craigslist sellers.

Last edited by SD_F1504x4; 08-30-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Offroad Lights?