Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

off road rookie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off road rookie question

i searched around and couldnt find all that i wanted to know.. but i have a 2010 lariat (dont tell me i should have or should go trade in for an FX4) what do i need to worry about/know if i went off roading? would a stock lariat just not hold up? idk what ill be doing either, beach or mud, should i worry about deep potholes etc? thanks for the help and putting up with me.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Wow... pretty open ended question.

Really if you're not going to be thrashing it, the Lariat is just fine stock. If you're gonna be putting it over obsticles or anything, you might want to invest in a set of FX4's skidplates.

In order to be able to acurately answer this question with more detail, we'd really need to know where you will predominantly be using it. Stock trim should do you just fine if you don't intend on beating the hell out of it. If you do, I'll PM you my address and I'll pay to have it shipped to me.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Rammer Jammer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

lariat is a trim and has nothing to do with whether or not it is offroad capable. you can offroad in a lariat, king ranch, harley, it doesn't madder that has nothing to do with whether or not you can go off road...

you say your truck is not an FX4? does that mean it is a 2wd? or just a regular 4x4? you can offroad in either but if it is a 2wd I suggest a leveling kit. This question is way too open ended you need to be more specific. where will you be going offroad? what type of terrain? will you offroad frequently or just every now and then? be specific
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 PM

The lariats have skid plates. Iv got an 01 lariat and it's got skid plates.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Some Lariats have skid plates, and some don't. It's an option. Like the other person said, Lariat and FX4 are trim levels; it has nothing to do with how well it can offroad. The 09-10 FX4s do come with a locker, while the other trims didn't in those years. But the 08 and older FX4s had a limited slip, just like what was offered on the other trims. Now the 11s and up offer the locker on other trims. So the FX4 has no advantage over any other F150 trim in offroading
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 PM

i offroad with my lariat. it doesnt have skid plates on it. i jacked it up and all first. but i offroad in my nice leather seats. thats really about the only difference is like everyone said trim levels not capability to an extent.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM

i mentioned it was a lariat because most that are gonna off road get the fx4, or an off road package. i wasnt sure if the lack of off road options, like the skid plates, would make it dangerous for me to off road. i came up to a road earlier that i had to drive over to get to my friends hours, it was just tons of bumps and potholes and puddles, it was fun as hell, but i was semi worried that i might hit something on the bottom from a pothole or bend a rim or something like that..

Quick Reply: off road rookie question