Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ocala National Forest Trails

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ocala National Forest Trails

I’ve driven most of the main dirt roads in the Ocala National Forest with my 2017 F-150 2.7, Super Crew, FX4, 4x4, with locking rear differential (stock height, AT tires). No problem with the sandy sections of road or chewed up super soft deep sand sections at the side of the road.

Are there any light to moderate Jeep trails wide enough for an F-150? Most that I’ve seen look like pinstripe hell! I went down a short section of Jeep trail this weekend and nearly wedged myself between two oaks. It was VERY tight. Fortunately no “pinstripes!”
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Ocala is mostly ATV and dirt bike trails. I've never seen any wide trails out there. Be careful it can get real sandy and deep out there. At least there are plenty of trees to strap to if you do get stuck.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Yep, most Florida forest trails I've found are pinstripe-central. My truck is pinstriped big time, but I knew I was going to use it for that purpose, so I'm totally alright with it.

Depending on where you are in Florida, you can check out Citrus WMA and Croom WMA which might have some more varied terrain that you're looking for, and while they do have some very narrow trails, the main ones are pretty wide.

I also go to Hardrock Off Park (which happens to be in Ocala) pretty frequently, and that's a ton of fun.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Yep, most Florida forest trails I've found are pinstripe-central. My truck is pinstriped big time, but I knew I was going to use it for that purpose, so I'm totally alright with it.

Depending on where you are in Florida, you can check out Citrus WMA and Croom WMA which might have some more varied terrain that you're looking for, and while they do have some very narrow trails, the main ones are pretty wide.

I also go to Hardrock Off Park (which happens to be in Ocala) pretty frequently, and that's a ton of fun.
Thanks for the recommendations. I am in Florida often and definitely need to check out some new spots.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts

I was up at Citrus WMA almost two years ago with my brand-new stock truck. Lots of loose sand. A couple of deep mud holes. There are some fun trails, but almost all of them will drag brush and branches down the sides of your truck. Everything buffed out from that trip. I would get a good cost of wax on before going if you care about your paint.

Here's the post:

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142
11/22/16
3,636 miles

I started off the day by pulling off the front air dam in preparation for hitting some woods trails... and I'm glad I did. I hit plenty of stuff that would have pulled it right off. I attempted 2WD a few times and quickly sank in sand... so 4WD was a requirement. Lots of little hills, deep ruts, and high shoulders to navigate. We had a great time today. My friend ran his 4Runner into a deep mud hole, and I pulled him out effortlessly with the F150... it's like he wasn't there. I have a ton of scratches from brush, but it's looking like most will come off with a light buffing. I'm hoping to get a wash and a good wax tomorrow.

I might have a good reason to hit ONF in late January. I'd like to try it out.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (11-16-2018)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 AM
Proud Southerner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Bumping to the top
Old 07-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142

I was up at Citrus WMA almost two years ago with my brand-new stock truck. Lots of loose sand. A couple of deep mud holes. There are some fun trails, but almost all of them will drag brush and branches down the sides of your truck. Everything buffed out from that trip. I would get a good cost of wax on before going if you care about your paint.

Here's the post:

I might have a good reason to hit ONF in late January. I'd like to try it out.
The pinstripes look like my current ride! (2019 Toyota 4Runner) The 4Runner is much smaller and definitely more at home on narrow trails than a full size truck, but it stall scrapes on some of them. Ocala National Forest, Osceola NF (not as bad) and Withlacoochee NF are definitely pinstripe hell.

Unfortunately I never returned to Ocala with my 2017 F-150 2.7 F-150. It ended up being a constant repair nightmare! On April 27th, when the warranty was about to run out, I traded it in and went back to Toyota. I really loved the F-150, but the reliability issues were unacceptable. in 17 months of ownership my truck spent over a month at the dealership and the last visit Ford refused to fix the problem with the noisy transfer case or front diff. My fishing buddy with the same F-150 has had zero problems over the same time period. Guess Ford ownership wasn't meant to be for me!

Good luck on the trails gentlemen!

Quick Reply: Ocala National Forest Trails