Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Normal 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Normal 4x4

Searched but didn't find an answer. What is normal? I have a 2016 and when I drive it in 4x4, and make a modestly tight turn, it makes a rubbing sound. It almost feels like the front and rear end are fighting over things. Test driving done in very wet gravel parking lot.

I am use to my brother in laws Tundra. You wouldn't know it was in 4x4 when driving around. So, my F150 seems very weird. It may be normal for a Ford and that is what I am trying to find out.

10k miles
Never drove around in 4x4 before
Shifted from neutral at a stop
Shift on the fly - **** on dash
4x4 Hi or Low ... rubbing sound on turns
I was doing a K turn in the parking lot for this test
I get all the proper dash messages about shifting and no error messages

Normal?

My first post! I think this is about as right a place to ask this question as it gets.

Thanks, -FB
Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

What's a K turn?

Did you try the same turn in 2wd?

Since you were on gravel, you were probably hearing (and maybe feeling) the front tires slipping as you were turning. Basically in 4x4 (especially in a tight turn), the front tires are fighting between forward traction and traction in the direction of the turn.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Never makes any sounds in two wheel drive. A k turn is what you do when you make a U turn on a narrow road. I could hear the gravel but this ain't gravel sound. Sounds just like a tire rubbing.

Sorry, the sound was in reverse. Not sure about fwd direction.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboytx
Never makes any sounds in two wheel drive. A k turn is what you do when you make a U turn on a narrow road. I could hear the gravel but this ain't gravel sound. Sounds just like a tire rubbing.

Sorry, the sound was in reverse. Not sure about fwd direction.
Perfectly normal. Especially at slow speeds, in reverse, tight 3-point turn, etc, not the slipperiest of surfaces (compared to mud or ice). It's not a problem.

Though I would put it back into 2wd when making 3-point turns anyway. I do, unless for some reason I'm off-road and I REALLY need the front wheels to pull me out.

Last edited by Florida_F150; 02-21-2018 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fatboytx (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Perfectly normal. Especially at slow speeds, in reverse, tight 3-point turn, etc, not the slipperiest of surfaces (compared to mud or ice). It's not a problem.

Though I would put it back into 2wd when making 3-point turns anyway. I do, unless for some reason I'm off-road and I REALLY need the front wheels to pull me out.
Thanks! I am beginning to think of 4x4 as recovery equipment. But I can't get over the difference between my Ford and my brother in laws Tundra. Big. I'll be running around in 2 wheel drive and using that electric locker on the rear.

-FB
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

When the rear is locked you will still have troubles making tight turns.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Ford historically has used a slightly-faster front gear ratio than rear, so that the front (steering) tires PULL the truck around turns, rather than plowing, like rudders. On high-traction surfaces, that can cause chirping on the pavement, or driveline noise due to binding (which should be avoided).

Also, any differential enhancement (limited slip, locking, etc.) can cause the tires on that axle to try to roll at the same speed, which isn't possible in a turn without slipping. It's more-noticeable in a tight turn. Does the E-locker activate automatically on your truck?
fatboytx (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboytx
Thanks! I am beginning to think of 4x4 as recovery equipment. But I can't get over the difference between my Ford and my brother in laws Tundra. Big. I'll be running around in 2 wheel drive and using that electric locker on the rear.

-FB
You should feel perfectly comfortable using 4x4 on any slippery surface, no worries. Super-tight turns only if it's good and slick or you might hear some noise. Think of it this way, when in 4x4 the front tires are mechanically forced to rotate at the same speed as the rear. In a super-tight turn the front wheels are rotating way more than the rears, but they're locked together with the rears! Something's gotta give. That's why you want to be on a slick surface.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

4x4 and the locker should only be used off-road. Otherwise you will have stuff binding up since the surface isn't slippery. The Tundra likely has 4x4 AUTO, which kicks in 4x4 when traction is needed. This option is only available on Lariat and higher for Ford, which would be the only way to leave 4x4 on all the time. Even though you were on a wet gravel parking lot, it is likely so compacted that it wasn't slippery enough to allow the 4x4 system to work as it's designed without binding. I would advise only using 4x4 in situations that need it (mud, sand, ice, snow, etc), and when you need the extra traction to pull yourself out, or to keep yourself from getting stuck. I often use the locker and only touch 4x4 if it's a really sticky situation.
fatboytx (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Ford historically has used a slightly-faster front gear ratio than rear, so that the front (steering) tires PULL the truck around turns, rather than plowing, like rudders. On high-traction surfaces, that can cause chirping on the pavement, or driveline noise due to binding (which should be avoided).

Also, any differential enhancement (limited slip, locking, etc.) can cause the tires on that axle to try to roll at the same speed, which isn't possible in a turn without slipping. It's more-noticeable in a tight turn. Does the E-locker activate automatically on your truck?
You pull the 4x4 **** to activate the rear locker.

Quick Reply: Normal 4x4