Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New Tires or Not

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tires or Not

I just bought a new truck and it came with Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on 18s. The last set of mods I am on the fence about is if I should level the truck and put on better off-road tires. I hunt in rural Georgia, lots of red clay, and will be spending about half of my weekends from October through December in the woods. The roads are in reasonable condition, but I could easily see them getting rutted and in poor condition fairly quickly.

Previous experience has told me that better tires will help prevent some degradation to the roads due to less spinning. They will also allow you to straddle ruts, rather than slide into them and continue digging them out. Obviously driving on wet trails is 90% brains, where getting stuck is typically a function of doing something one really shouldn't be doing.
  • What are peoples experience with Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires?
  • Are better tires, such as Goodyear Duratracs, worth the investment?
  • General thoughts on off-road experience with 2010+ F150s is welcome as well. A quick look under the truck looks like an electrical nightmare if the truck gets in much water or deep mud.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

I didn't have good luck with the stock goodyears my truck came with. They were great highway tires but in the mud and dirt roads that I was on frequently they were terrible and easily punctured.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would have better luck with some Nitto Terra's.... Honestly, it all depends on money... If you just want some to last you through hunting season i would by some really cheap mud tires and take them off after the season is over.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't comment on the 2010+ but I just got some Terra grapps for my 02 screw and LOVE them!!! I have used them in mud, clay and sand and have no complaints! Btw....I back the 90% brains comment, absolutely!

Quick Reply: New Tires or Not