Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150

I am' looking at upgradeing and I don' know really where to start I'm looking to lift and add 20'' rims with maybe 33 to 35 tires. I'd like to lift the 6 inchs it looks good but I've Heard of it causing issues with c.b shaft so I was all so thinking of the 3 inch fox racing shocks but I don't like how they slam when maxed out on a bump. I am not vary mechanicly inclined so any help would be appreciated thank you.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Your best bet is to find a local off-road / custom shop, take your truck in so they can look at it, and talk to them about what you want. Ask plenty of questions. The key is you need to find a dedicated off-road / custom shop, not a chain that just normally does tires / brakes, and "occasionally" does a lift.

It's also important to understand the difference between a lift and a level. A 6" lift (or any actual "suspension lift") is better for your CV angles. That's because a lift raises your truck up the desired amount, but then ALSO lowers the differential and axles back down to around where they were. A "level" such as coilovers which raise the front a few inches, raise the truck but do NOT then lower the differential and axles. That's why the generally accepted amount of level is usually around 2.5" or lower. As long as you're at or below 2.5" of level, most people say your CV's will be fine.

Suspension lifts usually start at around 4" and go up to 6" or 7" or so.

Be aware that a suspension lift is generally not reversible as they generally do cutting, welding, and other permanent modifications to your truck. A level is easy to reverse... just put the stock shocks / springs back on.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Your best bet is to find a local off-road / custom shop, take your truck in so they can look at it, and talk to them about what you want. Ask plenty of questions. The key is you need to find a dedicated off-road / custom shop, not a chain that just normally does tires / brakes, and "occasionally" does a lift.

It's also important to understand the difference between a lift and a level. A 6" lift (or any actual "suspension lift") is better for your CV angles. That's because a lift raises your truck up the desired amount, but then ALSO lowers the differential and axles back down to around where they were. A "level" such as coilovers which raise the front a few inches, raise the truck but do NOT then lower the differential and axles. That's why the generally accepted amount of level is usually around 2.5" or lower. As long as you're at or below 2.5" of level, most people say your CV's will be fine.

Suspension lifts usually start at around 4" and go up to 6" or 7" or so.

Be aware that a suspension lift is generally not reversible as they generally do cutting, welding, and other permanent modifications to your truck. A level is easy to reverse... just put the stock shocks / springs back on.
thank you. This was really helpful I'll look into a shop around here
Old 01-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

How do you plan on using your truck? What is your overall budget?

If it's all for looks, a lift kit will be the route.

If you are looking at performance and off road, We can definitely assist you with this.

JT
Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Baja Kits

JT
While that's certainly true, the OP looks to new this, and should understand that a lift kit with full replacement coilovers, upgraded rear shocks, larger tires with higher sidewalls, etc will definitely improve off-road capability a lot. Your kits are awesome and take it to another level, but just didn't want the OP to think that a lift kit was ONLY for looks. Lift kits with high quality suspension upgrades will also improve performance, but are obviously not to the level of a full-on mid-travel / long-travel kit, etc. Not being argumentative or anything, just want to steer the OP in whichever direction is best for him.
The following users liked this post:
locknload (02-01-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
While that's certainly true, the OP looks to new this, and should understand that a lift kit with full replacement coilovers, upgraded rear shocks, larger tires with higher sidewalls, etc will definitely improve off-road capability a lot. Your kits are awesome and take it to another level, but just didn't want the OP to think that a lift kit was ONLY for looks. Lift kits with high quality suspension upgrades will also improve performance, but are obviously not to the level of a full-on mid-travel / long-travel kit, etc. Not being argumentative or anything, just want to steer the OP in whichever direction is best for him.
Completely understand where you are coming from

We always want to know exactly how our customers plan on using their truck.

I have a lot of people who contact us who have gone the Lift kit route with Upgraded coilovers and it rides way too stiff from them still because there is not enough wheel travel.

Performance wise, the coilover helps out a lot but sometimes, that is not enough for how the truck is going to be used.

That is why we have multiple suspension options available and not just the Full Long Travel race kit set up.

Last edited by Baja Kits; 01-25-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Florida_F150 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Completely understand where you are coming from

We always want to know exactly how our customers plan on using their truck.

I have a lot of people who contact us who have gone the Lift kit route with Upgraded coilovers and it rides way too stiff from them still because there is not enough wheel travel.

Performance wise, the coilover helps out a lot but sometimes, that is not enough for how the truck is going to be used.

That is why we have multiple suspension options available and not just the Full Long Travel race kit set up.
Absolutely! I've seen many of your builds on here, and they are *awesome*!
Baja Kits (01-25-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 11:57 AM

How do you plan on using your truck? What is your overall budget?

If you are looking at performance and off road, We can definitely assist you with this.

JT
i think im going to go with the 4x4 bds 4 inch lift kit with the fox racing coilovers I think this would suit my look and overall performance for what I want. Let me know what you think. For somthing like this I will be waiting a couple years so I can spend 6- 8 grand on that and wheel package. Don't want to cheep out now to change later. Any suggestions please let me know thanks
Florida_F150 (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Ladouceur
i think im going to go with the 4x4 bds 4 inch lift kit with the fox racing coilovers I think this would suit my look and overall performance for what I want. Let me know what you think. For somthing like this I will be waiting a couple years so I can spend 6- 8 grand on that and wheel package. Don't want to cheep out now to change later. Any suggestions please let me know thanks
That'a a great kit, if you go that route. I have one myself (the 6" version, but it's basically the same kit).
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Ladouceur
I just had a 4" BDS with Bilstein 6112 coilovers and 5160s in the rear installed, my shop actually talked me out of the Fox coilovers, they said I'd have to rebuild them every few years and would be stiffer than the Bilsteins.

After driving my truck with this setup, I can honestly say I am so glad I chose the Bilsteins. This truck rides incredibly well for a lifted truck on 35s, it rides and handles bumps and holes so much better than stock, not stiff by any means. I couldn't be happier. Now part of the "better ride than stock" is switching from 20" wheels to 18" but all things being equal, The Bilsteins still played a heavier part.

As far as performance, I took it down a dirt road at close to 60mph and was blown away by how controlled the truck felt and how it just soaked up the bumps, ruts, and holes. Did I say I was super happy with my choices???
Attached Thumbnails Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150-20180117_160324.jpg   Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150-26730921_10215925443795805_4621085661927188482_n.jpg   Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150-26685328_10215925444475822_8203648329109238795_o.jpg   Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150-26758196_10215925444555824_340083410334319675_o.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by locknload:
Florida_F150 (02-01-2018), Rambo007 (02-09-2018), tibis3383 (02-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade my 2016 f150