Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

A little picky ...

Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little picky ...

Okay so I just turned 17 and I have a 2wd 92 F150 .. My original plan was to go with a 9" lift ( 3" BL, 6" SL) and 38.5 Bfgoodrich Mud Terrains .. Well since it is 2wd.. That may look dumb .. So I'm thinking about a 3" BL and 33" Mud Terrains with some wider off set or a 3" BL and a 4" SL with 35's with wider offset .. I wanna know what some of you guys think would be better thanks
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Why would it look dumb if your truck is a 2WD?

There are a lot of guys who lift their 2WD's.

How do you plan on using your truck? Do you have a budget?

If you do go the 9" route and 38's, how are you going to power those 38's? Are you going to regear?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Personally, I'd stick with a 3" lift and 33's so you can then spread any additional money around to do other things I'm sure you'll want to do. The larger wheel & tire combo you go, the more power you'll want/need and it just becomes a compounding chase where you might never be satisfied. Lift it a little (maybe coil overs and new shocks if budget permits), get some cool wheels with an offset you like and some nice meats, then enjoy the truck!

P.S. - maybe start a new thread in the Member Builds and keep us posted on how it goes!

Last edited by SURF150; 08-02-2016 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added note to start thread in Member Builds
Old 08-02-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

You have a $1500 truck. You can spend as much as you want on a lift and tires and you'll still have a $1500 truck that is no more capable than it is now. Actually you may hurt performance more than help. Nothing wrong with driving a $1500 truck, but I'd advise putting the money earmarked for the modifications in the bank for now.

But I know you won't listen to me. I taught HS for 30 years and saw hundreds of kids make the same mistake you're going to make.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Baja Kits
Why would it look dumb if your truck is a 2WD?

There are a lot of guys who lift their 2WD's.

How do you plan on using your truck? Do you have a budget?

If you do go the 9" route and 38's, how are you going to power those 38's? Are you going to regear?
I plan on using it for just Home to School to Work and possibly hunting here and there. I don't really have a budget and I was planning on putting 4:10 gears in and swapping from a 300 I6 to a 351 Cleveland
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by SURF150
Personally, I'd stick with a 3" lift and 33's so you can then spread any additional money around to do other things I'm sure you'll want to do. The larger wheel & tire combo you go, the more power you'll want/need and it just becomes a compounding chase where you might never be satisfied. Lift it a little (maybe coil overs and new shocks if budget permits), get some cool wheels with an offset you like and some nice meats, then enjoy the truck!

P.S. - maybe start a new thread in the Member Builds and keep us posted on how it goes!
That's exactly what I was thinking .. So may I ask what Type of tires would you recommend ? .. I was thinking bout some Mud Terrain's but if I'm going for more of a stance thing I'm thinking possibly Nitto's ??
Old 08-03-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Marshallr - you will not get back much, if any, of you investment and you'll be kicking yourself when you sell your truck. Plus, those heavier wheels\tires will be a noticeable, especially going from a dead start. Go for a less costly upgrade.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldnt bother. It's an older 2wd truck. Start saving for your next one!
Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordguy1023
That's exactly what I was thinking .. So may I ask what Type of tires would you recommend ? .. I was thinking bout some Mud Terrain's but if I'm going for more of a stance thing I'm thinking possibly Nitto's ??
First off; I'm going to say I do agree with the other fellas, but also understand where you're at and what it means to have a ride you feel good about. So ...

Again, keep things pretty modest. I know I'm talking about a little lift and maybe some new wheels and tires, but that stuff isn't cheap. Be realistic - not emotional about it (tough to do).

I'd recommend buying quality used wheels, and yes - even tires if you can find them. No sense in putting brand new anything really on your truck because it will not only tap you out, but also look at bit out of place against the beautifully aged exterior. Check craigslist, ebay, etc. Buy the right wheels (proper offset) and try to avoid wheel spacers if possible; just my opinion. They're not the worst things to use if that's what's available, but I'd say look for the right wheel initially if you can and reduce the amount of pieces needed.

Tires: check out tire shops and look for a used set. I bet if you just drove up and talked to the owner/manager and showed him your truck they'd be happy to work with you and appreciate that you're trying to do things smart and save some money. Personally, I'd go stick with an all-season tire that gives just enough of an off-road look, but not overly street looking. Opinions will vary on which one, of course. If you really must have a more aggressive tire, realize you will take significant performance hits depending how far you stray from stock size; slower, harder to stop, more wear on brakes faster, gas mileage ... it's all connected and adds up very quickly and sooner than you think. Unless you have a solid career/income to support the need for continual "luxury" expenses, just give it more thought.

Again, remember that selling your truck later won't get you more money back just because you added some "cool" parts to it; in fact, it could work against you. My opinion (since you are asking) is give it a little personality, but keep it as a solid, reliable daily driver that lets you enjoy life, get you to work back safely so you can keep collecting toys.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
But I know you won't listen to me. I taught HS for 30 years and saw hundreds of kids make the same mistake you're going to make.
But he'll probably learn a lot making that mistake!

Young and, I'm guessing on this, No wife, no kids, living at home... now is the time to make mistakes.

Do what you want with your truck young man but Marshallr speaker the truth. You will not get any of your money back out of the project. If you go at it knowing that you'll be better off.

Just make sure you put some money aside for some type of education after high school. I went right to work and built cool trucks with the money instead of going to college. Now all my buddies with degrees are buying cool trucks and I'm selling my junk to pay for school at 37 with a wife, kids and house. Thats a mistake I wish I had not made... but I did have some fun and experience a lot of things that my friends didn't. Too bad those experiences won't pay the bills.

Rant over. Have fun with your truck young man!
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (08-07-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A little picky ...