Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

limited slip differential

Old 06-05-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default limited slip differential

Hi all, I want to but a limited slip differential in my 2007 2wd F150 or a locker. My truck has a 8.8 rear end and I have no Idea what the gears are. How hard is it to in stall the LSD and what tools would I need? The reason I'm asking is cause I have to put it in on the weekend and drive it on Monday. What LSD should I get for my truck? I wan to keep the gearing the same in the rear end the door says axle 27.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

If you have to ask then it is not a job for you to tackle yourself.

Not trying to be an ***, that is the truth of that kind of job. It is not hard, it is precision work and imperative that it is done right.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
If you have to ask then it is not a job for you to tackle yourself.

Not trying to be an ***, that is the truth of that kind of job. It is not hard, it is precision work and imperative that it is done right.
I should have seen a comment like that coming. The reason I was asking about it was cause I do not have access to all my tools and I have never messed with the gears in the rear end. I have some experience working of cars I worked in a shop for 4 years. I also do not trust any of the shops in my area to do that sense last time I took my truck to get a simple oil change they put the wrong oil filter on it.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

I know your changing your diff and not the ring and pinion but I think a lot of this still pertains to the task at hand. I found it because I just got a traction lock diff and 4.56s a month or so ago. That video scared the poo out of me, I was like please take my monies. I found out about a good place here in Tenn called Delk Performance that specialize in racing Mustangs and whatnot. The day I picked my truck up I watched a Mustang come in on a flatbed from Alabama, the guy said he didn't trust anyone around him. Anyway... Kind of off subject. Good luck whatever you end up doing. My hats off to you if you get that done yourself.

Here's what I had installed:
Attached Thumbnails limited slip differential-image.png  
Old 06-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

If you are changing the carrier, as is the case with a LSD swap, then that video pertains very well.

OP, look into a lunchbox style locker, like a spartan or a lock right. if you can get used to the clicking and letting off the gas on a turn they have some great reviews. and are faily easy to install, with some mechanical know how.

FWIW, I had one ordered for my 07, before it got totaled.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the video I was thinking I would have to do some shimming and need a press. I guess I'm going to wait till I have access to all my tools.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: limited slip differential