Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ifs long term with big tires

Old 11-03-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Ifs long term with big tires

Hey guys I just wanted to get a better feel for our trucks and what they can handle. I currently have a 2014 screw 4x4 F150 with a 6.5" Mcgauhy lift on 35s. I would like to step up to wider tires like a 36x15.50 or 37x12.50 when these wear out but curious is to how our ifs and front end hold up with these newer trucks. I don't really off-road much but I sometimes get the call from friends for a tow home or pull them out. I would like to know how long most usually get out of their lifted trucks before having issues and what the issues are. I have had several ifs trucks all 1/2 ton on the past that didn't last too long with big tires. I keep wanting to buy an f250 just because of the solid axle factor but I just don't think it's worth paying that kinda money when I only tow a 21' bay boat at most usually. Just looking to see some other thoughts because I feel the F150 seems to be a solid truck
Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by marknissan
Hey guys I just wanted to get a better feel for our trucks and what they can handle. I currently have a 2014 screw 4x4 F150 with a 6.5" Mcgauhy lift on 35s. I would like to step up to wider tires like a 36x15.50 or 37x12.50 when these wear out but curious is to how our ifs and front end hold up with these newer trucks. I don't really off-road much but I sometimes get the call from friends for a tow home or pull them out. I would like to know how long most usually get out of their lifted trucks before having issues and what the issues are. I have had several ifs trucks all 1/2 ton on the past that didn't last too long with big tires. I keep wanting to buy an f250 just because of the solid axle factor but I just don't think it's worth paying that kinda money when I only tow a 21' bay boat at most usually. Just looking to see some other thoughts because I feel the F150 seems to be a solid truck
Unless something has changed, F250s are IFS.

Ford changed to 31 spline front axles last generation. I've seen busted IWEs and an occasional axle issue but I haven't seen a busted front diff. We in the Raptor community beat on 'em pretty good. I wouldn't worry about it for normal off roading.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

F250 4x4 are solid axle for sure. I'm just curious about how the F150 ifs holds up. It seems like they hold up decent compared to other 1/2 ton trucks front end. I have had Iwe issues on both sides also
Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by marknissan
F250 4x4 are solid axle for sure. I'm just curious about how the F150 ifs holds up. It seems like they hold up decent compared to other 1/2 ton trucks front end. I have had Iwe issues on both sides also
I learned something new, should have looked it up.

Ford absolutely has the best 1/2 ton front end.

I've been running heavy 37s with 4.88s and no issues. Lots of Raptors (same front diff as yours) beat on 'em with 37s, even 39s with axle upgrades.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

If you're going to a wider tire IMO you'll need to worry more about ball joints and bearings (which you'd also be into on a solid axle).

Moving the centre of gravity outwards with a bunch of weight stresses those components (think of a skinny guy and a fat guy on a seesaw with the skinny guy on the far end and fat guy on the opposite end close to the middle. The farther the fat guy moves from centre, the more force is applied until the skinny guy is in the air)

Search this Thread