Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

I went 4 wheelin today and I need some advice

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went 4 wheelin today and I need some advice

The truck is a 93 F150, 5.0, Auto, 3 inch body lift, F250 coils, locker in the rear 4:10's, 35 inch Procomp mud terrains.
I took the beatertruck out today to play in the mud and I gotta admit I am a little disappointed with the performance. I found out the procomps suck in the mud and I'm just basically disgusted with the performance of the entire truck.

The truck did OK for the first couple of hours and then it sank in shallow mud and I got so hung up I had to get a flippin tractor to get me out.

So, my question are....
1. Should I get new tires and see how the truck does with them?
2. Sell the truck and buy a dedicated play truck?
3. Do you guys think I'm expecting too much from the truck or did I just get unlucky with some really goopy mud?
4. Raise the truck with a SAS and run some bigger tires?

I really like to play when I get the time off work and I don't like spending the afternoon trying to get the damn thing unstuck

Here's a couple of pics for you guys to laugh at and tell me how pathetic I am :o

Old 10-17-2011, 11:28 AM
99fordman

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how you feel in getting stuck and spending to much time trying to get out. It could be a number of things when it comes to mud, it could have just been real thick and you just hit it wrong. The tires themselves are a decent brand but you can judge of off one bad experiance. As far as the lift running bigger tires in mud will be a significant help.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM

most likely **** the tires, try somethin like bfg mudders a set of 35's on my old ranger and i paid 1500$ for my whole rig that i ran on and off road i was really happy with the performance. id go through more then my buddys with more "high dollar" rigs
Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM

No weight over the rear axle,street pressure tires it looks like(cant really tell), too much spinning while stopped digging yourself in and not enough while moving to clean them out, and when you say locker what do you mean?(no factory lockers on those trucks,only a weak limited slip so did you install one?)

A true locker with mud terrains(good tread depth) should have gotten you through that assuming you were spinning the tires fast enough while moving to clean them out. With that said that looks like some thick mud.

As mentioned don't let one experience ruin your outlook on your truck, half of off roading is getting stuck and experience/knowledge is better than most high dollar mods. Bigger tires will only help if you are getting hung up on the differentials which it looks like could be an issue.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No truck is beyond getting stuck. I don't care how tall it is, how big the tires are, or how much money you have invested. It can get stuck.

Lower pressures in tires can help. Sometimes it's just that you needed more momentum to get through the mud...

It's not always the trucks fault.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Mountain Dew Guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want a true mud play truck, lift it and get lockers and super swampers!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM

^What he said. Ditch the body lift, sas it, and throw some 38's on there (preferably boggers). Then let er eat.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Madmaxwell87
No weight over the rear axle,street pressure tires it looks like(cant really tell), too much spinning while stopped digging yourself in and not enough while moving to clean them out, and when you say locker what do you mean?(no factory lockers on those trucks,only a weak limited slip so did you install one?)

Its an Eaton #362-19588-010. I guess its technically just a posi, its not the e-locker. The tires were at street pressure still.

A true locker with mud terrains(good tread depth) should have gotten you through that assuming you were spinning the tires fast enough while moving to clean them out. With that said that looks like some thick mud.

The tires are brand new, as are the gears and Eaton.

As mentioned don't let one experience ruin your outlook on your truck, half of off roading is getting stuck and experience/knowledge is better than most high dollar mods. Bigger tires will only help if you are getting hung up on the differentials which it looks like could be an issue.
Looking back at the situation, I'm thinking I made a couple of mistakes.
1. I didn't have a lot of wheel speed when I went into the area.
2. I stopped when I realized I didn't have enough momentum and threw it in reverse. It was instantly hung.
3. I plain misjudged the depth of the mud through there, it looked dry but it obviously wasn't. I think I actually lifted because it looked like a small ledge that I was going to go up, when in fact it was mud hell.
The truck was instantly on the axles and the mud had no bottom to it once you were through the surface. I sank to my knee and lost my shoe when I 1st got out. The entire area was under 5 feet of water a month ago.
I'm thinking it wasn't so much the trucks fault as it was mine and I was probably being a puss and babying it too much as I went into this area. I just got the thing put together and it was also the first time I took this truck out in the mud.
I'm thinking I just wanted to blame the situation on the truck, when in fact I am probably 92% percent to blame and the other 8% is the thick *** mud.

Last edited by Beatertruck; 10-17-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Rammer Jammer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Madmaxwell87

^^ this

that looks like some thick mud, if you really want it to be a true mudder/play truck then investing in some 35/14.5/15 boggers or swampers, something of that nature, and some wide 15" rims would be a good idea
Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep get some boggers and that spot would be no problem. boggers will be basically the only tire i run on my mud vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I went 4 wheelin today and I need some advice