Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

I want to start mudding

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to start mudding

hello everyone, ever since Ive gotten my truck I have wanted to go mudding. Im not planning on doing anything too crazy but just going through a couple of different places on my farm after a big rain. Ive read up a lot about it and feel pretty confident about going and I have a buddy that wants to go to with his truck. I wanted to get a winch but dont have the money to buy one that is big enough so I was wondering if I use a come along hand winch like the one below if that would be enough to pull me or my friend out if one of us gets stuck. Thanks for all the help!
-Joe
https://www.amazon.com/ATE-Tools-Pul...VYDJQ3K5MD3YY8
Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

don't tear up your truck bud.

save your money and buy you a toy to beat up. An older 300/6 F150 or a cheby z71. no computers to worry about for the most part.

Or a fourwheeler like a Can Am Renegade xMR 1000. It's a mean bike in the mud, factory snorkel, factory lift, 28inch Silverbacks on all four corners
Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 PM

like i said before im not planning on going through anything unless im pretty confident I could make it through and I dont think there are any places that are too deep on my farm. but keep in mind I am in highschool and want to make my stupid decisions now before its too late. I really posted this thread to see if a come-along could pull me out just in case I got stuck.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:00 PM

ya it very well can, did it plenty of times myself.

gotta ask yourself, on your highschool budget, how are you going to pay to fix the truck if you break something?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Fordless

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boom50cal
don't tear up your truck bud.

save your money and buy you a toy to beat up. An older 300/6 F150 or a cheby z71. no computers to worry about for the most part.

Or a fourwheeler like a Can Am Renegade xMR 1000. It's a mean bike in the mud, factory snorkel, factory lift, 28inch Silverbacks on all four corners
To be fair boom50cal, he never said what his vehicle is. For all we know, it is an older 300/6.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Foulplay
To be fair boom50cal, he never said what his vehicle is. For all we know, it is an older 300/6.
very well could be.
I did not pay attention to what section this is in, thought it was in 04-08.

Still my question remains unanswered, how will it be paid for when it breaks?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the answer, and my answer to yours is im pretty much screwed which is why i dont plan on going into any mud that is too deep and say a few prayers before and hope for the best
Old 10-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Young_ford_fanatic
Thanks for the answer, and my answer to yours is im pretty much screwed which is why i dont plan on going into any mud that is too deep and say a few prayers before and hope for the best
I've been off-roading for a few years now, and I can confidently say that mud is one of the worst things you can do to your truck.

Mud gets in everything, and wears everything that rotates. When/if you get out it can seem like everything's fine until you're on the road at speed and something pops/blows/siezes.

If you still want to mud, wash your truck often, change fluids after each time you go.

Also a slightly under powered winch isn't a terrible thing to get, ****** blocks double pulling power for each one you have in the line (though remember the advertised power of the winch is with a single roll on the spool, more line on the spool = less pulling power).
Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Young_ford_fanatic
t just going through a couple of different places on my farm after a big rain.
You don't have any equipment on the farm that you could use to pull a stuck truck?

From what I remember of those hand winches is that they are sketchy and limited in how far they can pull you. But... its better than nothing. If you do end up with one just make sure you bag the cable incase it lets go. Also keep in mind that a 4500lb truck stuck in the mud is much more than 4500lbs of force on your winch.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

You just want to mud? Honestly that all gets pretty old pretty fast to me. Mud can be fun but can really ruin stuff too.

I'd say look into trail riding your rig or get out and explore backcountry areas. You'll still find mud but also other obstacles. You will also see some nice country at the same time.