Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Horrible Honking Sound- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Horrible Honking Sound- HELP

Hey yall!
I have a 2012 F150 FX4 with a leveling kit and 35" Nitto All-Terrains. For the past 6 months or so I have been having a problem with the steering and hearing an AWFUL noise. Just about every time I make a hard turn to the right and straighten up, I hear a honking noise coming from what I think sounds like my front passenger side. It sounds like a goose honk. Sometimes it is extremely loud, sometimes quiet. My truck also creaks and cracks like crazy, and it's driving me crazy!!

I have taken the truck to my town's Ford dealership and they told me that my tires are too big and my suspension is stretched and my angles are off and blah blah blah. They told me to take it to an off road shop. I don't know if they are treating me like this because I am a girl or what.

Basically, I need advice! I have been in several other trucks that have a leveling kit with 35s and they have no issues! There has to be a solution to this. I know my tires are NOT too big they barely even rub.

On a side note, it has been years since I have been on this site! I used to be cowboyupfx4 and drove a 2004 blue FX4 with 9" of lift and 38" Mickey Muds. It's good to be back and looks like the forum is just as popular as ever.

Thanks in advance!
Shelby
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like one of your front struts are bad, try spraying a little lithium grease or wd40 on the rubber seal where the struts shaft enters the chamber. Spray it, then let it sit for a minute or two, then spray it again. Then jounce the front suspension a few times and drive it to see if it helps.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Shelby, do you remember which leveling kit you got? What brand and also was it a 2", 2.5", or 3"? 35" tires with any leveling kit are borderline, but depends on the width and the backspacing of your wheels can also complicate things. Are the tires rubbing on the sheetmetal or on the tie rods?

Quick Reply: Horrible Honking Sound- HELP