Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

hey guys i need some offroad tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys i need some offroad tips

I would love some offroad tips I don't wana just go out there an hit stuff lol just want some stuff to watch out for
Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know how much clearance your truck has. Don't forget you have reverse. If it feels sketchy you can always get out and look. Don't jump your truck unless the suspension can handle it! Have fun! I'm missing stuff.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM

I herd don't put it in 4 I till I get stuck is that true? An shuld I stay away from water or how do I check how deep it is befor I go in
Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't get water in the intake. You can check water depth with a stick, but if it's questionable I'd go around. Bring recovery gear, at least a 3"x20-30' strap. Never go alone, always let someone know where you'll be and how long.

You can run in 4wd, but you may want to stick in 2wd until you know what your truck can do. Don't bury the rear axle before going to 4wd, though.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Is your truck stock? Then I would away from even deepish water altogether. Yes recovery straps are a must. I always have gloves on me for snow wheelin
Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
04 F150 FX4

My biggest suggestion is bring a buddy and make sure you've got recovery gear, winch, tow strap, etc... It takes quite a bit to do any serious damage, just have fun. If you get stuck have your buddy get you out and if you think you can make it try again... For me its all about pushing the limits and having a good time.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Remember to bring a bag full of quarters for the carwash, too. It's amazing how long it takes to wash all the mud out.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
thread jacker!

dont hit water fast. creep in and watch your front tire. you can run in 4x4 but stay offf asphalt and aviod going much over 35 in 4x4.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GO SLOW! Always better to back up and try again then to fly off into the wild blue yonder or dive into the deep blue sea.

Go with a buddy and bring recovery straps. Make sure at least 1 person in the area has a winch.

Finally, accept that you will brake something and look at it as an opportunity to improve your truck.

Stay in 2wd until you start to spin your tires. Don't hammer down at that point, let off, engage 4x4 and try again. A light touch on the gas is required.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
SoCal Thread Shredder

My friend and are avid off roaders he is more experienced than I so I've learnt a lot from him. The best you've done is to ask for advice from more experienced riders in order to improve and enjoy your riding experience. You can also google, "advice while off roading/four wheeling/trail riding/ etc. to learn more.

When you get a chance, watch some of my friend's videos and if you have any questions ask me on his youtube channel. He will be more than happy to answer any question there cause he doesn't frequent F150forum anymore.

Here is one of his videos, he says this was his first time ever off roading.

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: hey guys i need some offroad tips