Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Is an Fx4 the truck for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is an Fx4 the truck for me?

A little background: I like to hunt a few times a year, which isn't true off-roading, but the forests have rough gravelly roads that are hilly and usually covered with snow when I go. Other than that unusual stuff, I just want a vehicle with high clearance and 4wd to drive in the winter snow in Indiana.

I suppose a regular F150 with good snow tires would be adequate for my practical needs, but I just love the looks of the Fx4. I'm not super rich though, so if it is wasteful overkill please let me know. Maybe I should be focusing on the regular 4x4, but I want it to look special (big tires etc.). To be honest, I love the looks of the Super Duty Fx4's the best, but am certain that is overkill since I'm not hauling horses or fifth wheels! Gas mileage is important to me, since I live far from the city now, so I'll be excited to see the 2015 F150 lineup.

Does the Fx4 sound like the perfect truck for me, or no? I would prefer AWD, but I don't know why that isn't an option on trucks (not good for pulling loads?).

Last edited by Toddrick; 09-15-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddrick
A little background: I like to hunt a few times a year, which isn't true off-roading, but the forests have rough gravelly roads that are hilly and usually covered with snow when I go. Other than that unusual stuff, I just want a vehicle with high clearance and 4wd to drive in the winter snow in Indiana.

I suppose a regular F150 with good snow tires would be adequate for my practical needs, but I just love the looks of the Fx4. I'm not super rich though, so if it is wasteful overkill please let me know. Maybe I should be focusing on the regular 4x4, but I want it to look special (big tires etc.). To be honest, I love the looks of the Super Duty Fx4's the best, but am certain that is overkill since I'm not hauling horses or fifth wheels! Gas mileage is important to me, since I live far from the city now, so I'll be excited to see the 2015 F150 lineup.

Does the Fx4 sound like the perfect truck for me, or no? I would prefer AWD, but I don't know why that isn't an option on trucks (not good for pulling loads?).
All my trucks have been 4wd just for peace of mind. I go hunting a few times a year as well. And also like to have a little fun. But the 4x4 also helps me like when I'm pulling the boat out of the water and things like that
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2013 FX4 and I don't think it's that much better off road than a regular 4X4 F150. It does have different shocks, locking differential, and some light weight skid plates...but I really just liked the looks of it. To save some money just look for one used or get a regular 4X4 model and add the locking differential.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only difference is the shocks and skid plates and both of those suck off road
Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 PM
F150 Forum

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddrick

You'd be fine with a regular 4WD F150. AWD also sucks on gas mileage...
Old 09-27-2014, 05:49 PM
F150 Forum

Received 235 Likes on 210 Posts

You don't buy an FX4 over a 4WD Lariat or similar for Off-Road performance. They are just too similar.

You buy an FX4 because you like the style and the looks.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

and some models (including the Lariat, maybe FX4 I'm not sure) do come with a 4A mode, which is somewhat similar to AWD, in the sense that you as the driver dont have to decide whether you want to run 2wd or 4wd, the truck's brain does it for you! (I almost never use it...)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The 4AWD on these trucks (if it's anything like the Expedition's) is an awkward pain to use. All it really is traction control that engages 4WD if the rear wheels begin slipping. The way it engages 4WD is nothing like how a normal AWD system works. It takes forever, and when it does finally engage, it slams into gear violently.

My opinion, I'm glad my truck doesn't have the AWD option. I would never use it anyway.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:15 AM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Is an Fx4 the truck for me?

I have owned,
1986 f-250--4x4--351 H.O.- Big 4V Holly=$$ Gas
1991 F-150--4x4--

2001 F-150--4x4--Off Road Pkg.
2007 F-150--4x4--FX-4--Off Road
2012 F-150--4x4--FX-4--Off road
2014 F-150--4x4--Lariat, Skid Plates, H.D. Shocks. H.D. Springs, ENGINE OIL COOLER, Trailer Tow Pkg= Larger Radiator, Transmission oil Cooler, Class IV?? Hitch.

2014 F-150
When Purchasing any F-150 always get some kind of Trailer Tow Pkg?
Why,
They come with a Larger Radiator, Transmission Cooler, Cl.IV?? Hitch.

FX-4,
3:73-- 9.75 Rear End, Skid Plates, Heavier Shocks= Stiffer Ride. Trailer Tow Pkg. Larger Radiator, Transmission oil Cooler. CL IV ?? Hitch.
The Instrument Cluster is done in RED Letters-FX-4 is RED.

All the Newer F-150's have the 4-A My 2012 had it.
all the Newer 4x4's have the Locking Rear Axle.

4x4
, 3:55--9.75 or 3:73-9.75 Rear End, Less Heavier Duty Shocks= Softer Ride, Not that much softer. Skid Plates Extra, I believe the Trailer tow Pkg. is Extra. The instrument Cluster is done in FORD BLUE.

I 4-wheel in the Colorado Mountains. Get above Timberline, 11,500 Etc. & there isn't enough dirt to fill a 5-Gal. Bucket, a lot of Rocks.
The Factory skid Plates work very well. Haven't had any Rocks go thru, Just Scratched up a little.

Indiana,
I'm not Familiar with your 4-Whelling Terrain.
I don't go in Sand, Mud, Peat Bogs. Deep Water, Etc.

Either one will work for You. you won't be sorry if you get either. Both will do the Job. The FX-4 Decal looks cool.
My Experience is they will both 4-Wheel the Same in the Same Terrain. Rocks, Creeks, Hills, Etc. I have Done both Versions. I'm 67 years old. Colorado all my life.
I believe the Lariat & FX-4 are close in Price. I always buy them loaded. No Side Rails or Steps. They get in the way. Rocks Love them. Only my option.
I purchased a Lariat this time because I haven't owned one. No regrets.

The Driver is the X-Factor. I've seen the Younger Drivers get stuck in Peat Bogs when all you had to do was drive around it.

The Fun is Looking. The Not so Fun is Paying.
Good Luck & have Fun Looking. Be sure to Test Drive.
Richard

Last edited by Platinum T.C.; 10-09-2014 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2009_FX4 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I never go off-road, but I like 4x4, just because its a fall back net, its there if I need it. That and I don't tear up idiots drive ways that think a 7% grade twisty gravel driveway is a good idea....

Quick Reply: Is an Fx4 the truck for me?