Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Front receiver for portable winch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front receiver for portable winch

I posted a similar in the towing section. Looking at getting a front 2" receiver to mount a portable winch. It looks like the curt and drawtight receivers are tucked under abit much for the tongue of the warm multimount (haven't expanded past others). Which would cause some excess lever arm on any angled pulls.

Does anyknonw have one to comment on?

give that I've started looking to find a grill guard with a 2" front receiver. one incorporated into a brush guard would keep it up and forward. Primary uses portable winch, bike rack, hammock chair holder.

I'm not intending on putting a whole new bumper on, nor am I looking for a 200+lb brush guard.

Appreciate any leads. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by HD SCREW
I posted a similar in the towing section. Looking at getting a front 2" receiver to mount a portable winch. It looks like the curt and drawtight receivers are tucked under abit much for the tongue of the warm multimount (haven't expanded past others). Which would cause some excess lever arm on any angled pulls.

Does anyknonw have one to comment on?

give that I've started looking to find a grill guard with a 2" front receiver. one incorporated into a brush guard would keep it up and forward. Primary uses portable winch, bike rack, hammock chair holder.

I'm not intending on putting a whole new bumper on, nor am I looking for a 200+lb brush guard.

Appreciate any leads. Thanks!
Not trying to be difficult or funny here, but have you considered having one made? A decent welding shop should be able to whip one out for you pretty easily.

I too was kind of put off by the "mass application" versions out there (Warn, S_ _ ttybuilt, etc.) They tend to be cheaply made. But, they are expected to hold up for their intended purposes, so.... a simple custom one would be even better! They also tend to hang down more than many folks want, which just ruins the approach angle.

The multi-mounts go for around $120-200. $30 in materials and a couple of hours labor might end up about the same?

Here's my attempt (I did build my own bumper and push guard as well):

Last edited by STingray1300; 02-18-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

STingray is right, you should be looking at having one made. There was a company that made one that stuck through the lower grille like STingray's but they aren't around anymore. The only ones I can find now hang really low. I wanted one for a bike rack and the mass produced ones are too low for even that, let alone off road use. You'd end up with quite the chin dragger. There are thick sections of frame on either side of the lower grille opening, it really wouldn't take much to modify a universal class 3 receiver and make it work. That's the route I plan to go with mine, just need some time with a welder to make it happen.

Also, any brush guard that will support the loads of a 2" receiver forward of the front bumper will, or should, be substantial and would likely be 200+ lbs. I'd keep the receiver behind the lower grille so it can be support by the frame and not cantilever out.

Last edited by Pugga; 02-19-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

OP - Did I post my solution on your other thread? It is a Rough Country winch mount and Warn receiver combo. It hides behind the license plate and could certainly be used for a bike rack, etc. I also installed winch wiring to the rear so I can winch either way.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:35 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

Quoted from another thread... I think pugga posted in it...

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
All I did was I found a used hitch online and paid $40/50 for it. I cut it down, my buddy welded ends and we bolted it up. I used mine for my dune flag mount and for my front license plate.
It held up great. I hid it with my license plate when not in use.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
OP - Did I post my solution on your other thread? It is a Rough Country winch mount and Warn receiver combo. It hides behind the license plate and could certainly be used for a bike rack, etc. I also installed winch wiring to the rear so I can winch either way.
Must have missed it/can't find it. if you mind reposting I'd appreciate it....

RE: mount location, my concern with the curt/etc receivers is that the standard tongue on a warn/etc movable winch tray won't be long enough to clear the front bumper when put into the receiver. Thats why one reason I thought a brush guard combo may be better. I may pursue the custom fab option. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:24 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

Use an extension. When towing you loose ability but for a bike rack I think you'd be ok
Old 02-21-2017, 02:45 PM

So here it is. I bought the Rough country hidden winch mount.

Then Warn's winch mount accessory for their bumper:

Stacked they look like this:

The upper part of the fairlead mount had to be cut away to clear the Curt mount. The Curt mount looks like this:

Here are some pics of the whole shebang installed:

And with the winch:

Last edited by Martian; 02-21-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM

I chose this option because like you, I think the standard front receiver offers are too low. I have the 5.0 so no intercooler to worry about. Yes you can install a bike rack. I can measure from the pin hole in the receiver ti the front of the front bumper if you want. I carry my bikes on the rear with a homemade bike rack.