Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Fox 2.0 coilovers and removing front sway bar

Old 09-22-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Fox 2.0 coilovers and removing front sway bar

I'm getting fox 2.0 coilovers and rear shocks put on my 2014 FX4 this week. I've been searching as much as I can about removing the front sway bar. Some say that it helped smooth out the ride offroad by taking it off, giving it more down travel, and others seem to say it'll make your truck a coffin on wheels if you have to do any kind of emergency maneuver.

What's the consensus on this? Are the Fox coilovers enough to keep the truck stable or should I just keep the swaybar on?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

It may come down to personal preference. Leave it on but disconnect it and go drive around, see if you are comfortable with it - jerk the wheel to simulate an emergency manuever, etc...

I'm running without a sway bar but my coilovers are very stiff. Even without the sway bar I have almost no body roll.

Removing it will improve offroad performance and ride.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember reading this somewhere so I'm not 100% sure if this is correct.

The front sway bar is considered a safety measure to aid in emergency maneuvers. If it is found disconnected, it could result in your insurance declining a claim. Kind of like running non DOT bead locks on the street. Will something go wrong? Probably not, but if a ring flies off and causes damage, insurance has leverage do deny your claim because they aren't DOT approved.

Aside from that, if your coilovers are valved correctly and have the correct spring, you shouldn't have any problems with excessive body roll. I know some Raptors who run their ICONS without a sway bar without a problem.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Here's the deal about discoing the front sway bar on an IFS.

Yes, your front wheels will droop more (until the upper ball joint contacts the spring)...so in theory you get more travel.

Here is the problem. Unlike a straight axle, there is no added pressure from the other wheel (as there is on a straight axle) to push down to increase traction. The advantage of the slightly increased wheel travel is mute IMO...and the on road manners will be worse. You can also damage your UBJ in the process.

The only way it might help, ever so slightly, is if you have a front locker along with the discoed sway bar...but I would still not go there.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

After reading DD's post this may very well be one of those times where our platforms are too different for my input to be relevant.
The following users liked this post:
DieselDawg (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by WarSurfer
After reading DD's post this may very well be one of those times where our platforms are too different for my input to be relevant.

You hit the nail on the head...and it definitely depends on what type of 4 wheelin' also.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran without a sway bar for a little while.
What I experienced was the truck felt a little softer on dirt roads. On the street it handled absolutely horrible. Not just body roll but I heavily affected my steering. Sloppy and loose.
But maybe that just my truck.
I'm running a 4" spindle, uni upper arm, and billstein struts (that are quite stiff)
I was happy when I had my sway bar back in. Surprised how much good sway bar end link bushings affect the entire driving experience
Old 10-30-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Since I just posted this in another thread... I dont have mine on there... I think it drives fine. But I have always removed them from my "offroad" trucks so the body roll may be a normal feeling to me. It will change how you have to react in a quick maneuver though so keep that in mind. I also tow a 6500lb trailer very frequently

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fox 2.0 coilovers and removing front sway bar