Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Fabtech coilover fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabtech coilover fail

Decided to get 6" suspension lift and take my 2014 to places this summer. I went with dirtlogics with resi and had it installed in late January. Just before the summer in May the line to reservoir started to leak. I had my shop to contact Fabtech and have them to send a replacement. At that point the kit had about 2,500 miles on it with no offroading done as we just had a really snowy winter. Shop said Fabtech asked for more pictures and in the end the only way this is going to get dealt with is that they needed my shop to take it off and ship it to Fabtech. And apparently it will take about 3 weeks to have it rebuild. With added time for shipping both ways my summer is pretty much over. Out of curiosity I called BDS (I was deciding between these two back than) to see how they deal with similar issues. The rep told me they send a replacement, charge you for it and after receiving the faulty one they credit you back (unless there is damage to the shaft), keeping your downtime to minimum. I really should have called places and ask questions before I bought. One year warranty on leaks can mean very different things... Also the way I noticed it leaks was when my client called me that they have an oil stain on their driveway! Because I didn't notice the leak right away my UCA got covered in oil and dirt it now creaks. The best part-I have a feeling the leak might be caused by way the lines run-tight to the frame and they are straight with no swivels. I can see my other shock developing a leak soon...At that point I would probably give up. Instead of fun this has been so stressful, cancelling a trip weekend after weekend. It really sucks to spend thousands on suspension upgrades and in the end not to be able to drive truck at all.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:16 AM
Proud Southerner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

So did it start leaking where th line is contacting the coil/strut bucket? Because that's the first thing that I saw. That's an install problem.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Nope. Seems to be leaking somewhere where the line goes into the reservoir. The second picture makes it look tighter at the bucket than it is. Also both lines run the same way, only one is leaking.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Proud Southerner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably just a bad fitting crimp on the line. Unless I was hardcore desert racing or rock crawling I wouldn't get reservoir shocks.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 AM

I got reservoirs because for a different reason. Lots of service roads in the area, you can drive fairly fast for hours-fatigue was my concern. I was planning overland trips and got new lightweight pop-up camper. Before I could take it out the coilover blew up. Now I am making payments on the camper and paying monthly storage fees and not going on any trips.

Quick Reply: Fabtech coilover fail