Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Extending diff breathers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Extending diff breathers

Ok. So I extended the rear diff breather on my Tacoma and would like to do the same for my new F-150 (2016 Supercab XL 4x4 w/ FX4 package). There was an awesome step by step write up for the Tacoma including with unions and breathers to buy. I haven't been able to locate anything similar with the F-150 just mentions of people doing it.

A.) I definitely will do the rear. How high is the front diff? Do I need to do that as well?

B.) For those of you that have done it, did you use a breather union on the diff? I assume you aren't just covering the breather with hose and running the hose higher...right?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Are you sure it doesn't already have the breather extended up under the bed? Both of mine do.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by overlandFX4
A.) I definitely will do the rear. How high is the front diff? Do I need to do that as well?

B.) For those of you that have done it, did you use a breather union on the diff? I assume you aren't just covering the breather with hose and running the hose higher...right?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Wrong...

I did mine. ARB/et al makes a killing selling those breather union/extenders. What a waste of money... but they look cute - if you're ever on your back looking up at them

The front diff and tranny breather ends right up next to the brake booster - plenty high enough. The rear only goes to the bottom of the bed. I yanked it off and replaced the OEM hose with an extended hose that now runs up the inner fender and ends about the middle of the tail light, height-wise. I just zip tied it to the wiring harness there and put a down loop (crook) in it. If I'm going deeper than that, I've got other issues to worry about; none the least of which would be "floating". Cost me about nothing, as I sell fuel hose and stainless clamps on eBay. (yes, I do change out any and all clamps I come across with stainless ABA brand clamps).
The following 3 users liked this post by STingray1300:
BleedinFordblue (09-25-2019), overlandFX4 (07-27-2016), sigma pi (08-05-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Wrong...

I did mine. ARB/et al makes a killing selling those breather union/extenders. What a waste of money... but they look cute - if you're ever on your back looking up at them

The front diff and tranny breather ends right up next to the brake booster - plenty high enough. The rear only goes to the bottom of the bed. I yanked it off and replaced the OEM hose with an extended hose that now runs up the inner fender and ends about the middle of the tail light, height-wise. I just zip tied it to the wiring harness there and put a down loop (crook) in it. If I'm going deeper than that, I've got other issues to worry about; none the least of which would be "floating". Cost me about nothing, as I sell fuel hose and stainless clamps on eBay. (yes, I do change out any and all clamps I come across with stainless ABA brand clamps).
Wow. That sounds super simple. Thanks for the info!
The following 2 users liked this post by overlandFX4:
BadBoy4fun_wa (08-20-2016), sigma pi (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 AM

Old 08-12-2016, 11:55 AM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Wrong...

What size ID do you use for them?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:13 PM

5/16" I.D. (use fuel rated hose)
The following users liked this post:
BleedinFordblue (09-25-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 PM

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Wrong...

Are you able to advise me on the exact parts I should get? I want to do exactly what you did!

Quick Reply: Extending diff breathers