Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Mud flaps or not, hard vs soft?
No Mud flaps (try and fab something myself)
64.71%
Front and Rear Hard
35.29%
Front and Rear Soft
0%
Rear Hard Only
0%
Rear Soft Only
0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Excessive mud build when off roading??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Excessive mud build when off roading??

As the weather begins to soften I am taking my new F150 out into the trails an mud in Midcoast Maine. After two deeper excursions i am finding huge mud buildup on the underside of my rear bumper. I figure that mud flaps could help this problem but have no experience with them. Ive read soft will tear off sometimes when reversing. Are hard the way to go? i was thinking of installing some custom cut reinforced rubber along the whole underside of the truck behind the wheel wells and sealing it against the inside flange of the rear bumper. Let me know what you guys think is the best way to address this problem. I know it may sound like an obvious thing to install mud flaps but have never had em or been a huge fan.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts

I've been mudding 3 tomes in my 18 and think they might get ripped off, on a rock or deep mud. The old spraycareash does pretty good, then a drivethru wash gets the rest.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Styrofoam blocks affixed to the inside of the bumper with spray adhesive or double-sided tape.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by RobTx
I've been mudding 3 tomes in my 18 and think they might get ripped off, on a rock or deep mud. The old spraycareash does pretty good, then a drivethru wash gets the rest.
I really agree. With so much happening i feel like they wont last when seriously off roading. Thats what i want this truck to do. It took me like 10-12 mins at the wash to get it to a point where i felt good leaving it. I was on the way to dinner and didnt want to get fully covered in mud though . Of course now I have been skiing for two days in 8" of snow and it needs a full wash anyways. But the rear bumper is the area im most concerned with. Really considering covering the underside of my truck in metal plate haha.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ronemca
Styrofoam blocks affixed to the inside of the bumper with spray adhesive or double-sided tape.
Hadn't considered styrofoam but will look into it. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by chalriejo333
I really agree. With so much happening i feel like they wont last when seriously off roading. Thats what i want this truck to do. It took me like 10-12 mins at the wash to get it to a point where i felt good leaving it. I was on the way to dinner and didnt want to get fully covered in mud though . Of course now I have been skiing for two days in 8" of snow and it needs a full wash anyways. But the rear bumper is the area im most concerned with. Really considering covering the underside of my truck in metal plate haha.
Haha, yeah, these bumpers are like a tray to hold crap. There may be some aftermarket bumpers that are more solid and not a big catch can for debris, but I have not ever looked into one. Too much $$$ for what I want to spend! I hear ya on getting these trucks for off roading, only reason I got 4 wheel drive, so I'm gonna use it, a lot!
The Styrofoam may work for larger debris, but I think mud will get into any crevice and be harder to get out. You could use Styrofoam blocks, but kinda seal them in with the expanding foam, like to seal around windows, it does not expand as much.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Take it to an fab shop and just have them weld some sheet metal to close the bumper off.
Or use some heavy rubber attached to the bumper so mud can't go in it. Basically a mud flap placed on your bumper instead of the wheels.

You can even find some rubber pieces made for the sides of your car with neodymium magnets in it all along the edges to hold it on so you could remove at will to clean but they will stay in place off roading.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no poll option for keep fronts and remove rears
I did that because a) like the look and b) helps keep ahole tailgaters back some. mudding with this truck I think built up mud in the bumper will be the easiest to clean out, it's the rest that's going to suck. rockers for example or what's left of these. gotta get way up and behind in there and blast before it all dries up!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

If you're going to be getting into and enjoying off-roading, there's going to be mud in every crevice of the truck. I think you do better in the long run just cleaning it well after each outing, vs trying to prevent it.

Your best bet is one of those car washes where you drive into a bay and there is a pressure washer nozzle on a hose hanging from the ceiling. Usually there is also a bristle brush on a long pole that has soapy foam come out of the bristles. You'll really want to get in every crack and crevice anyway with the pressure washer to prevent build up, corrosion, etc. It's also necessary because if the mud dries inside your wheels (the actual wheel itself), it can throw of your wheel's balance and give your truck the wobbles.

Obviously while you're pressure washing, you'll get under that rear bumper and the mud should come right out.

Even if you have to drive a little bit to find one of these types of car washes, it will be worth it in the long run for your truck.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
If you're going to be getting into and enjoying off-roading, there's going to be mud in every crevice of the truck. I think you do better in the long run just cleaning it well after each outing, vs trying to prevent it.

Your best bet is one of those car washes where you drive into a bay and there is a pressure washer nozzle on a hose hanging from the ceiling. Usually there is also a bristle brush on a long pole that has soapy foam come out of the bristles. You'll really want to get in every crack and crevice anyway with the pressure washer to prevent build up, corrosion, etc. It's also necessary because if the mud dries inside your wheels (the actual wheel itself), it can throw of your wheel's balance and give your truck the wobbles.

Obviously while you're pressure washing, you'll get under that rear bumper and the mud should come right out.

Even if you have to drive a little bit to find one of these types of car washes, it will be worth it in the long run for your truck.
Or just buy a pressure washer and do it at home. The benefit to the car wash place is you don't have to clean anything up, but depending on where you live that could be easy/hard. I just wash my truck and rzr over the rocks and the dirt/mud washes into the ground.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (04-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Excessive mud build when off roading??