Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Electric steering rack and water crossings

Old 11-20-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Electric steering rack and water crossings

I'm wondering if and of you with electronic steering racks on the 11+ F150 has had any issues with deep water crossings. I'm in the desert there's not much water but considering I've already gone through one rack at $1400 I don't want to go through anoth and have been avoiding runs with water crossings.

What's the word on this?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The first year I had my F150 we had some pretty significant flooding in my neighborhood and this corner of town. I believe it was due to an ineffective new drain system they put in but I don't remember anymore.

Anyhow, the water was deep enough that regular cars were having trouble getting though, and if it was ANY deeper I would have felt compelled to do at least gear oils after this event (though when I dropped my rear gear oil this year I was happy to see no water contamination).

Point of the story: The rack was exposed to a lot of deep standing and mildly flowing water with no problems.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by buck91
The first year I had my F150 we had some pretty significant flooding in my neighborhood and this corner of town. I believe it was due to an ineffective new drain system they put in but I don't remember anymore.

Anyhow, the water was deep enough that regular cars were having trouble getting though, and if it was ANY deeper I would have felt compelled to do at least gear oils after this event (though when I dropped my rear gear oil this year I was happy to see no water contamination).

Point of the story: The rack was exposed to a lot of deep standing and mildly flowing water with no problems.
Was it the 11+ with the electric steering rack?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

I have taken my 2015 F150 through a couple river crossings. The water was 1/2 to 3/4 way up my wheels. Not sure if the EPAS was submerged but it is fine. Knock on wood .
Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by doctorschlachter
I have taken my 2015 F150 through a couple river crossings. The water was 1/2 to 3/4 way up my wheels. Not sure if the EPAS was submerged but it is fine. Knock on wood .
Good to know. The two electrical connections (one on the bottom one on the side) are right underneath the skid plate.

Search this Thread