Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

ecoboost and off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default ecoboost and off roading?

Well guys, I'm the proud new owner of a 2012 fx4 with the ecoboost motor. My decision for the motor was because 95% of the time the truck will be on the roads and also my daily driver. MY question for you guys is is this motor capable off road? My main concern is really water/mud with the turbos. The N/A motors are pretty solid off road with nothing really to worry about.

any thoughts on this or anyone with more knowledge then me. Trust me I'm not talking about basically sinking a new truck lol but I also dont want to shy away from a puddle lol.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Keeping the airbox above water and cleaning the airfilter will pretty much have you covered. They ran a turbo through the baja1000 and that motor seemed to have given less than 1 *****.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm putting Lift on and some mud terrains on tmrw so I'll be better able to answer this in a week or so but as of so far stock I've ran through some minor puddles, trails, and even got stuck in some thick mud pretty bad but I haven't had any problems with the engine messing up or anything, it runs and sounds just as good as the first time I pulled it off the lot !
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wondered this as well. What about mud getting caked on the inter cooler.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by abouzahrr
I'm putting Lift on and some mud terrains on tmrw so I'll be better able to answer this in a week or so but as of so far stock I've ran through some minor puddles, trails, and even got stuck in some thick mud pretty bad but I haven't had any problems with the engine messing up or anything, it runs and sounds just as good as the first time I pulled it off the lot !
Thats really good to hear but keep us posted for sure.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM
fomerly 1quiksvx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strizzi
I always wondered this as well. What about mud getting caked on the inter cooler.

Make sure to keep the intercooler clean, especially if you are playing hard with it. when you are done playing clean it off. the early eco's had front licence plates in the center in the bumper. ford had them changed to the driver side of the bumper because of the intercooler not getting enough air.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 PM

i went and hit some mud trails and what not today. The intercooler definitely got wet and everything but no problems what so ever! Temperatures are all where they should be and the engine sounds perfectly normal.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish ford would have made it so we could have our windshield washer fluid spray in the intercooler. Had that on my EVO
Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They did the toucher test with the ecoboost and it can handle offroading and pretty much anything thing else u throw at it!!! It's a very strong motor
Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Here is a video of my truck going through a mud hole... tore right through it without a problem. Ecoboost = badass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftk6B...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: ecoboost and off roading?