Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Downhill gas guage on empty

Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downhill gas guage on empty

Hello,
I was going down a logging road that had a consistent grade (6 - 10 deg) with a 1/4 tank of gas. The road had the occasional cross ditch to break up the grade but otherwise steep consistent down for about 40 min.
Shortly after starting down the gas guage registered empty and the empty gas notification came up. At this point I started to get worried and thought maybe the tank was punctured or something but it wasn't. I think all the gas just went to the front of the tank.
Does anyone know if this can cause the truck to starve? I did make it down without running out of gas but I was worried the entire way!
The truck was a 2013 5.0L screw.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes it can cause the truck to starve for fuel and stall. The gauge sending unit and pump are basically one unit so if you go to a steep down hill section and the gauge goes to empty, there's no fuel around the pump either. Most OEMs combat this by making the sending unit/fuel pump housing like a cup. It will hold a little fuel when the fuel sloshes away and re-fill when the fuel sloshes back. I try to keep at least 1/4 tank but if I know I will be going off road, I fill it up.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking also but wasn't sure. Everytime I hit a crosscut i would stop where the truck was level and wait a bit. But not too long as I didn't know for sure if that was what was going on. I was sweating bullets!
I think from now on it will be fill up if I head off road
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Also running the pump like that can cause it to burn out prematurely. Gas is what is used to cool the in-tank pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downhill gas guage on empty