Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Diff Vent Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Vent Tubes

I was cleaning underneath my 95 F150 4x4 the other day and found a tube maybe 1 1/2 ft long with a white plastic thing in one end that wasn't connected to anything. Is this my rear diff vent tube? If so where does it connect to and where is the front one locted? I do some muddin and don't wanna screw anything up.

Also has anyone extended there diff vents and ran them somewhere higher? If so where did you run them? Lastly is there any kind of small filter like thing that could be put on the end of the vent tubes so add protection?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't wanna break anything or get water/mud in the wrong things.

Thanks
Bubba
Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM

yes you can and should run your diff vent hose as high as possible. k&n makes filters for that and outerwears has a good pre filter for them. some guys also just run a cheap in line fuel filter on the vent tube. that works just fine.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

inline fuel filters work great, the plastic housing helps protect the filter. run it up as high as possible, just make sure the open end of the filter is pointed down (so water doesn't collect inside).

not sure of the design of these trucks (i'm still "learning" mine), but here are some places i have seen them run, and some i've done myself (on a bronco 2)

for the rear:
-between bed and cab
-behind tail light
-or just inside the frame

for the front:
-into engine compartment (i mounted mine on the firewall on the driver's side, next to the brake booster)
-behind core support
-inside cowl
Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Raine
inline fuel filters work great, the plastic housing helps protect the filter. run it up as high as possible, just make sure the open end of the filter is pointed down (so water doesn't collect inside).

not sure of the design of these trucks (i'm still "learning" mine), but here are some places i have seen them run, and some i've done myself (on a bronco 2)

for the rear:
-between bed and cab
-behind tail light
-or just inside the frame

for the front:
-into engine compartment (i mounted mine on the firewall on the driver's side, next to the brake booster)
-behind core support
-inside cowl
yep, you can even mount it inside the cab somewhere if you want to drill a hole or two and run them through a grommet. just try to mount it a tad higher than how deep you're willin' to take your truck swimming and you'll be ok.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM

I found where the tube came off on the axle, but it seems to have broken off and the hole in the nipple it goes on is clogged. What should i do?

Thanks
Bubba
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM

you could just dig as much of the crap out of the fitting that's clogged until it's unplugged and clamp another vent tube on and route it up higher. you prolly would'nt hurt the thing if a bit of muck fell down into the differential because before it got plugged up you were drawing crap into the thing anyway. then call it a day and in all likelyhood it will be alright.....but that's not what i would do. i'd either drain the differential if you have a drain plug or if you don't , first, go the the parts store and get a gasket, then unbolt the diff cover and drain it out and get as much crap out as possible, clean the surfaces of both the cover and differential, put the new gasket on and bolt the cover back on. tight, but not extremely tight. then find your service manual and find out what oil your supposed to use and how much . you may have a problem putting oil back in because the oil jugs won't fit in well enough to pour it in. if that's the case either syphon it in from a point higher than the filler or go get your sweeties turkey baster and use it to fill it until it starts running out. then put the plug back in and enjoy the rest of the day cruising around. be sure to wash out the turkey baster with solvent before you give it back to sweetie.[i keed, buy her a new one.]

Quick Reply: Diff Vent Tubes