Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Diagnose my 89 F150 drivetrain issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose my 89 F150 drivetrain issue

Hey all, first post here, first F150, and first 4x4 for me, so be gentle if this sounds stupid, but I have one day to figure this out and fix it.

So the truck is an 89 standard cab, long bed with the I6 300 engine, T18 4 speed transmission, and Borg Warner 1356 T-Case. 143000 miles.

I got myself stuck in mud up to the axles near Lake Pleasant in AZ, but after a couple hours of digging and pulling a couple other trucks were able to yank me out. So I drove about a half mile of some semi rugged terrain to get back to the road, during which I heard a loud banging noise under the truck, may have been the truck breaking, may have just been a rock. But I pulled over to check my tires, truck was in 4lo and 3rd gear at the time. Got back in, started the truck up, put it in 4hi, 1st gear, released the clutch, and....nothing. Wouldn't budge.

So as far as diagnosing it goes, I checked the hydraulics on the clutch, the transmission would grind if I tried shifting without the clutch so it was getting power. The transfer case linkage is good and I could feel it going in to 4hi/lo and N and 2hi. With any combination of t case range, transmission gear, locked/unlocked hubs, the truck would not move. The engine would also not stall with the clutch engaged in any setting either.

The truck is sitting abandoned in the canyon and I have 26 hours to get it moved. Help!!